Key Post How much should I insure my home for?

Granted it's in rural Kildare, but it's a good guide for me at present
As above, you might feel you could rebuild for that price, but in the event of a claim (for any reason) it is the insurance company who will decide whether you are under-insured or not, and being so far off the SCSI figures puts you at risk of a reduced payout.

I did this recently, putting up insured value by about 12%.

Zurich increased it at no extra cost until my renewal in May. I'll face a hike am sure then.

Got my renewal quote from Zurich and they had dropped the price despite the higher value insured. I squeezed a bit more out of them over the phone.

So I'm paying 14% less this year despite a 12% increase in value of building.

Hiya, just looking for some input, about to renew home insurance. SCSI comes out with ~198,000 euros. It's a typical former council 2 bed end of terrace in Dublin 12 with kitchen extension, ca 80 sqm. It comes up to 202,000 after adding wooden flooring etc. From what I read people here add an extra 30% on to the estimate which would make it ca 260,000. If I go with the 3K/sqm rule mentioned earlier I come out at 240,000 - so would 250,000 be a good value to go with? And contents - what do people insure for? I find it difficult to estimate this but I think 35K would do it (it's a small house). Any thoughts? All feedback most welcome.

Back