how much notice to landlord

suimhneach

hi folks, think after alot of searching we have finally found a new house to rent long term (have posted on this site a number of times about the hell hole we are in) anyways i was wondering how much notice we have to give our landlady, we are in the house nearly 4 years, we didnt pay a deposit as was not required. From the beginning the house was like faulty towers one problem after another revealing itself. Tried so many times to get the landlady to get them problems fixed but were totally ignored. We live in an area where it is next to impossible to get a house for rent long term.

So finally we have found a potential house but i was wondering how much notice to i need to give the land lady and is there a standard letter type of thing i could send her.

Thanks

we have no lease agreement as she woldn't give us one and she is not a registered landlord nor is she paying tax on the rental income. The final push that got us looking for a new place is about a month ago she turned uo with what she said was a lease agreemnt for us to sign, this was not a standard lease agreement,

on it was stated that the landlord has the right to enter the property without prior notice

• this stems from when we first moved in the handle on the main door of the house broke (it was always dodgy i had called her and written to her asking to fix it or send a replacement never came) and we were unable to unlock it as there was only one working door on the house we had to go in and out through the window for 3 weeks, one day my boyfriend came home from work and saw these people in the house it was the landlady and her boyfriend they came down from where they live in dublin and came intot the house through the window. Without ever telling us they were coming.
~Also on this lease agreement was that workmen could enter the property without prior notice with the landlords permission

• this stems from when she got a notion that she wanted a wall built outside the house while we were living there, we arrived home one day to find a huge hole in the drive way, a digger and a tractor parked on the lawn in front of out window. The hole in the driveway so so huge we couldnt bring the car into the house and had to park it on the road for 3 weeks till the workmen finally turned up for their second days work
I wrote to her on both occasions and informed her that her actions were out of order, but yet again no apology or not even an acnowledgement that she got the letters, till she turns up with this.

According to Threshold, it's 56 days notice for a tenancy of 2 years or more. Furhter details here - [broken link removed].

Given that you're living in an area where long term rentals are hard to find, I'd suggest doing this by the book so you're not giving her any excuses to bad mouth you, especially if the area is rural and people are inclined to know each other. Write to her to give notice. If she asks why, rationally and calmly point out the problems you've encountered. Don't get into a shouting match about what should have been done, what wasn't done, etc, nothing will be served from it in the long term.

she does not live in the area we do. and I think people would be more interested in the story of a landlady that is charging through the nose for a kip and not paying tax on that income if it came down to a mud slinging match.

I would suggest you contact her & say you are moving out once your current rent / month is up as you do not want to sign the contract she has proposed & that you have found a complient landlord elsewhere. Take plenty of pictures of the issues you have had in the house

The likihood of her persueing you to very slim, especially as she doesn't appear to be complient so she is probably not registered with the PRTB, tax etc. Bad landlords give the whole industry a bad name.

Back