How much for an architect? And will they JUST do drawings?

A friend of mine used the Simon project. They engaged the architect for a hour. He gave them some very useful tips and expanded their knowledge about what they could achieve on their site. It was a house extension. They then incorporated those ideas into their plans when getting costings elsewhere. They did not feel under any pressure to use the architect with whom they had connected through the Simon community, (and in fact they didn't use him) but they do believe the "donation" for the consultation was money well spent.

Had a look at this on the web. The open day is the 7th of March this year. Fee is €75 and that goes to Simon community.There is a good choice of architects.
Looks interesting if you are just starting off. We hope to do some work to the house next year so might look into this to get some initial ideas from an architect.

Has anyone else used the Simon Opendoors in previous years?

DeirdeD
i feel that you are missing the point, if an architectural technologist could do the 'same drawings' as an architect there would be no architects in existence..
i know several excellent architectural technologists, and there is nothing wrong with employing one if their skill-set matches your requirements.
an architect brings different skills to the table, and should produce a better designed project due to their design-based training.
anybody can 'do drawings', its the content of said drawings that you are paying the architects fees for.

DeirdeD
i feel that you are missing the point, if an architectural technologist could do the 'same drawings' as an architect there would be no architects in existence..
i know several excellent architectural technologists, and there is nothing wrong with employing one if their skill-set matches your requirements.
an architect brings different skills to the table, and should produce a better designed project due to their design-based training.
anybody can 'do drawings', its the content of said drawings that you are paying the architects fees for.

All true, but I'm seeing more, and worse, 'architects' work cross my desk for items which are, quite simply, un-buildable....

Example - a two storey section, where clearance from top step of stairs to ceiling was.......1500mm !! And they charged 15k for that ?!

i would be the first to admit that there are of course good and poor architects as in any other profession. at least with an RIAI registered architect, however, the client has some redress to that body if an architect is not performing their duties correctly.
references and samples of past work should always be requested in any case...

it was an RIAI one.......

would have to agree that RIAI accrediation does not automatically mean competence....

too many old school architects have simply renewed subcription each year without staying up-to-date with regs , technologies and practises

Had a look at this on the web. The open day is the 7th of March this year. Fee is €75 and that goes to Simon community.There is a good choice of architects.
Looks interesting if you are just starting off. We hope to do some work to the house next year so might look into this to get some initial ideas from an architect.

Has anyone else used the Simon Opendoors in previous years?

I did this a couple of years ago, I left it too late to get one of the smaller architectural firms and ended up with someone from a large firm of commercial architects. The architect advised me that an extension on a small rural farmhouse could cost in the region of 300,000 for the award-winning glass & steel design that he had in mind. Nonetheless, it was a very interesting hour and well worth the few quid for Simon. I actually got some interesting ideas that I may incorporate into my plan ultimately.

i would agree that that RIAI accrediation does not automatically mean competence, although a member is oblidged to attend CPD on a regular basis which should keep their skills up to date...
my point was rather that in the event of incompetence, some redress is available from the RIAI.

Back