How much does it cost to run Askaboutmoney?

Made a donation last night. A small price to pay when I consider the amount this site has saved me over the years.

Thank you

Your website saved our bacon in 2008 - we could've invested €1.3 million - the proceeds of farm sale - in shares as advised by our (now former) accountant. The advice we received here was invaluable. It's important that you keep this forum going. Donation sent via paypal :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to donate but I have a problem with a personal name on the account. I don't like Paypal but I would donate to the ASKABOUTMONEY (registered company name etc.) account rather than a personal name account. Don't mean to be sticky, and will donate to keep the site going, but what about transparency? Isn't that what all this stuff is about?

... but I would donate to the ASKABOUTMONEY (registered company name etc.)

AAM isn't a company though, is it - it's a discussion forum run by an individual (with help from a team of volunteers). I haven't been around much over the last few years but this is something I'm fairly sure Brendan has always been very upfront about.

Obviously I can't find the place where this was discussed before now just 'cos I want to. But I'm sure Brendan or someone else will be along to explain properly soon.

Donation almost on its way. Just waiting to change credit card details on paypal!

Thank you Brendan for this website, it has helped us on numerous occasions over the last 6 years. And thank you to the number of posters who take the time to repeatedly help someone like me who doesn't have a great grasp of finances or taxation. With the help of AAM I am learning all the time.

Last edited:
I'd like to donate but I have a problem with a personal name on the account. I don't like Paypal but I would donate to the ASKABOUTMONEY (registered company name etc.) account rather than a personal name account. Don't mean to be sticky, and will donate to keep the site going, but what about transparency? Isn't that what all this stuff is about?

There is no company or commercial enterprise called Askaboutmoney. It's a website owned by Brendan Burgess. Since 1999 the cost of running the site has been approximately €8,000. Fundraising (excluding this round) has raised around €2,000. Brendan has paid the other €6,000 out of his own pocket.

Brendan has received no sponsorship and no advertising revenue of any sort. Any such offers are rejected in order to maintain the impartiality of the site.

Setting up a company around Askaboutmoney would significantly increase the running costs, although it might afford Brendan some additional protection. To date Brendan has received 50 solicitors' letters threatening to make him personally liable for defamation by some anonymous posters.

I have got some great tips from AAM down through the years and have often wondered how you made any money from this site. Donation on way. Might be an idea to post the usernames so we know you have recieved the money.Keep up the good work.

I also agree, no lists, instead people who donate should have the icon that shows them 'online' changed to a gold star.

I also agree, no lists, instead people who donate should have the icon that shows them 'online' changed to a gold star.
Actually a lot of other forums do have a VIP or "donator" tag to people who have given money.

I'm not sure if it is a good thing, will persons who have donated get preferential treatment and if so do other members get treated as less important. It could open up a new realm of cyber classism! :D

Contribution made.

Keep up the good work Brendan.

This forum and the invalauble service you provide is needed more than ever these days.

Donation sent. Also I think it is very reasonable the amount you spend in running the site. The government should take notice.

Back