How much are EA's charging for selling a home?

i wasnt sure whether it was down to the ea or the solicitor,cheers for clearing that up,i could always just put it up on daft i suppose and see how i get on

i wasnt sure whether it was down to the ea or the solicitor,cheers for clearing that up,i could always just put it up on daft i suppose and see how i get on

You may get interest by going yourself and you may get someone who sees an opportunity in negaotiating a great price with someone who is unsure about the whole process. There is alot of animosity towards EA's especially because of the perception from the boom time, but vendors during that time will be happy about the services. Don't forget many EA firms have been in existence since before the boom and were selling houses when interest rates were over 15%.
Do some homework on the EA's in your area and after that if you feel that you are the best person for the job then best of luck with the sale.

i had actually considered it it would save most people thousands!!!but what happens then in relation to stamp duty is that looked after by the solicitor?

I sold myself at the start of the year, and tbh, its a piece of cake. In fact I reckon you will be more successful selling yourself (see above about EAs not returning calls etc.). Advertize on daft.ie, - costs a few hundred euros, - this is where most of the EAs advertize anyway.

The solicitors handle all the money. The buyer can drop the booking deposit into your solicitor directly or via their own solicitor if they prefer.

When people are doing viewings, generally stay out of there way (so they can look and discuss without feeling uncomfortable) but tell them to give you a shout if they need anything, and that you can discuss when they're done.

Most people who viewed my house said they were happier not to be dealing with an EA, expecting the saving to be passed on to them to some extent.

Also, the process is quicker, - you're not waiting for an EA to get back to you with updates etc.

Easiest few grand I ever saved. If you're comfortable doing some basic negotiation yourself, i'd highly recommend it.

thanks for the feedback,did yoy get the money you were looking for or did you settle for less and did it take long to sell?

thanks for the feedback,did yoy get the money you were looking for or did you settle for less and did it take long to sell?

Had it sale agreed in 2 weeks, - got slightly less than the advertised price (as I expected), but more than my bottom line. I sold for more thaan a house down the road did with an EA.

I think the following advice is even more important than whether or not you use an EA:
Decluttering (the more the better, not to be underempasized!), depersonalizing (no family, pet photos etc), fresh paint here and there, plenty of good photos on daft are very important.

Make the house as bright as possible when people view, - switch on some lamps (not overhead lights), even during the daytime, - pull back curtains as far as they will go.
Treat someone looking at the photos on daft as though they are doing their first viewing, because this is what it amounts to. (and it amazes me the crap photos that a lot of EAs put up)

Basically, - try and have the house as fresh, clean and empty as possible, - there's usually no need to spend a fortune to achieve this.
You'd be surprised at how little people look beyond their superficial overall impression.

Have a little sales spiel ready to parrot off to people. Even jot down the good points of the house ready to parrot off to them.
Things like (where applicable): not overlooked, easy to maintain, nice area - no rough people in the estate, etc.

Back