How much are builders and architects charging

corcoran1

Im about to bid on a house. Its an old house that needs a lot of work(replastering, new windows, new flooring, rewiring etc etc). It is approx 1100sqft with a side garden of approx 100sq metres). I had a 2nd viewing this evening and brought an architect with me(I didnt know him. I called him yesterday on spec and he voluntered to go with me). His advice if we proceed would be to basically not do anything structural at all to the old house and to add a large extension to the side which would be a kitchen\living\dining area which we could maybe build around a yard(wrap around). He reckons the building cost would be 2500 per sq metre. Is this not what builders were charging a few years ago before the slump. Also(more worringly) he reckons that the whole process from planning to building would take approx 2 years(maybe 18 months at a push if everything went 100% according to plan). Fist of all does anybody know if this estimate for an extension would be in and around correct and secondly does planning really take this long. The estate agent has a bid on the house and is putting me under pressure to let her know if im intrested as she has a bid there already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: How much are builders and architechts charging

The renovation and extension would take the best part of a year to complete. Planning Permission (all going well) takes about 8 weeks from date of application, depending on your local authority. Design and drawings would add another few months (or many months, depending on whether you know what you want, how long it takes you to make decisions, your architects skill at keeping a project moving etc etc etc.). And don't forget it'll take another few months to close the house purchase even if your offer is accepted tomorrow.

Build costs? Again, this varies around the country and there are different numbers for renovation and new build. Sounds a little high, but he may be erring on the high side because he knows all projects have a tendency for "scope creep". Do you have a good reason to doubt your architect's numbers? Choose your architect carefully, you need to understand each other and you have to be confident that the architect has your interests at heart. S/he acts as your agent throughout the process and a good architect more than earns the fee charged. Did the architect talk numbers with you and give you a sample contract and explain the process?

Don't worry about the EA, probably pulling your leg, but there's plenty of houses out there for sale if you don't get this one.

Thanks for that. I dont know this architecht at all. I spoke to him yesterday for the first time. He didnt have to go to see the house with me so I really appreciated it. He told me that the way he works is that he goes through a design with a client and then lets the client think things over, come back again, discuss again and so on. He said that he likes both parties to take their time to get things right. Good point but this architect I'm thinking is just a bit too laid back for my liking. Only thing is that he has dealt with the planning authorities in the area that the house is. Does anyone know of any good architects that have done work in the Kilmainham area(or Inchicore). The house will cost approx €360k. I had a figure in my head of max €150k(extension, renovation and decorating costs). I'm now thinking that this might be way off. I just assumed from reading articles\previous threads that both builders and architects costs had dramatically reduced. Am I way off the mark

Just as a recommendation to you. I recently got planning for a 2 storey extension to a detached house with large side garden (something similar to what your looking at) . The guy who handled my application was professional, thorough, and kept me well informed and up to date on every stage of design & planning process. He came recommended to me by a friend and had a large portfolio of projects & experience dealing with Dublin City Council & surrounding councils. His costs were very competitive. He also has links to builders whom supplied quotes based on his design.
We had our whole process project managed from design to build. The design/drawings & documents etc took about 2 wks, the planning took 8 wks and the build appx. 7 wks. Its worth keeping your options open. If you want his details i will pm them on to you.

Hi deirdre,

I sent you a PM but I'm not sure if it sent(my sent box says 0 messages sent). Can you let me know if you got my message. Thanks

You can build up to 40 sq metres without planning as long as you have 25 Sq m of area left over. Thats quite a large ground floor extension if you keep it on the one level. Wish I had 150 to spend when I did my own place. Spent 25k, rewired, replumbed, 2 bathrooms, Kitchen, flooring carpets etc. Was a shell when started.

At first I thought that but then I realised that that rule only applies to extensions on the back of a house. The extension that we would be looking to put on has to be on the side as there in only a large side garden and no back garden as such. I would have thought €160 was more than enough but apparently not rom what I have been told so far

Correct on that one, I overlooked it has to be on the back. How many sq metres are you planning on? My bro did a huge job on his house for 150k bout 2 years back. Got an officeroom where garage was followed by a Bathroom/Skullery, then a massive kitchen extending out the back aswell as where the garage was. New bathroom and Bedroom on top, also a big attic room extending the roof, a long with upgrading rest of house with insulating boards, wardrobes, Paint and decor,(a palace) I'd say its well do-able now adays for your budget.

Also are you sure she has a bid on the house??

im extremely suspicious. She said yesterday that a guy that had bid last year and then pulled out(could not get loan approval) has now put in an offer and has mortgage approval at this much lower amount. She said yesterday that she had discussed me with the vendor and that i was a much more attractive proposition etc etc. I told her that i would call her today if really intrested. I called her today at 3.45 and told her i was. She immediately said that the other guy had faxed her info confirming that he was loan approved. i told her that i had brought an architect with me the day before and that i was serious regarding purchasing(she wasnt aware that he was an architect). She said that i needed to give her a bid to go back to the vendor with. I went €2k higher. She said that she would talk to the vendor, the other potential purchaser and revert back. In the meantime i got a call from a friend who called her 2 days ago and left 2 messages saying that he was intrested in the property(just to test what she would say). The EA called him after speaking to me ad told him that there was a viewing today at 5.30 and would he be intrested in viewing. He asked were there any offers and she told him my offer. It all sounds very dodgy to me(sorry about the long winded message)

i think estate agent is playing games probably reliving the 2005/2006 times

best thing to do here is get your mate to bid competively for it

EA will come back and you say your out at that level hopefully this blows the other guy out of the way (if it doesnt you will at least find out how determined/how high he will go) then if your mate is highest let him drag out the deposit bit for a week or two i.e has to give bank notice etc etc

after a week or two your mate withdraws bid estate agent comes back to you see if your still interested

stick yo your original bid, the other guy may also be still interested or felt he has been played or found something else

in the meantime you have plenty of time to get quotes and do your figures to see if you really want the house

Is the estate agent playing games

I called EA yesterday morning. She said she had not heard from the vendor. Odd considering she said on Friday that he urgently wanted to tie this up. She said she would call me back. I called her at 4.30 yesterday. Again nothing. She then called me at 5.45 and said the other intrested party called her and has now gone € higher than my offer. She asked what I thought and I said that I wasnt getting into a bidding game. Her reply was that she was really surprised that this guy increased his offer and didnt think that he would go any higher. I said that I would think things over and call her back this morning. I think that its obvious that she is just squeezing as much out of me as possible. The mistake that I made was that I really did make myself out to be way to keen so she knows how intrested I am. Any advice. Will I hold my nerve and go with my gut that this other party dosent exist or bid a bit higher???

You're getting too wound up in this, never forget that there will be other houses. Before you bid on anything that you need to renovate you should have a very good idea of the costs involved and if planning will be easy to get. Also is the architecht going to charge you for the initial visit with you etc.

Tell the EA thanks for her time and that you're pulling out. Wait a few days and see what happens. Then, when she calls you back to say the other purchaser has had to drop out (which she almost certainly will do), go back in a bit below your original offer.

Back