How many landlords have quit because of rent controls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do beg your pardon. My misinterpretation. I took it to mean the answers that landlords and vested interests gave to the TSG in response to questions posed by the TSG which were predominantly answered in the format of improving the LL's lot.

I did think this was interesting

"The provision of social housing has evolved over time from local authority housing, to
provision via the private rented sector, to not-for-profit Approved Housing Bodies. In the long
term, should State support for social housing take the form of subsidising a market rent
payable by the tenant or by subsidising the construction of property to be let at a social and/or
affordable rent to qualifying tenants?"

I think the construction of property to be let at a social and/or affordable rent to qualifying tenants is interesting.
If only a way could be engineered to create a market where landlords, or even property managers, actually competed against each other to provide accommodation at affordable rents to qualifying tenants.

Last edited:
I guess you have to look at the local authority or govt past track record and your experiences with them and consider how likely to work out as promised or are you likely to get shafted.

For me their track record suggests I'll regret anything they touch.

What a cop out. You think the government arent good for their money.

This section of the report is relevant:

"When considering whether or not to introduce a new tax expenditure or in reviewing any existing measure, the Department of Finance’s Tax Expenditure Guidelines must be used by policy-makers for evaluating the appropriateness of introducing new measures or retaining existing measures.

Any proposals which are progressed by this Working Group will be assessed according to these guidelines.

The evaluation of tax expenditures before the introduction of a tax expenditure is called ex ante evaluation and the review of a tax expenditure that is already in existence is called ex post evaluation.

The objective of the guideline requirements is to promote high standards in tax expenditure evaluation and provide guidance and clarity to interested parties as to how the Department of Finance will approach the evaluation of new or existing tax expenditures.

As with all tax expenditures, EU State Aid regulations will also need to be considered in developing any proposed tax measures."

In other words, irrespective of what the Government might want to do, or what others might call on it to do, it has to stay within the guidelines and be mindful of EU State Aid rules.

Last edited:
They are certainly good for imaginary money.

Paying rent in arrears means they aren't paying the first month's rent, or providing a deposit.

They have form....

Well the good news is you wont be relying on the government to pay you, they will be relying on you to pay them...€2,500pa.
Add in your other requirements of €1,500 and you have outgoings of €4,000pa.
So all you have to do is check the housing surveyor structural report of the property and decide if you would be interested in a scheme that could return you anything up to €24,000pa.
Your only concern is that other interested parties will offer to charge tenants a lower rent.
Do you think you could compete?

BS

Is there any chance you could let the adults have a conversation about the subject of this thread?

Surely at this stage your apparent need to indulge in teenage rhetoric has been well and truly sated?

Pretty please?o_O

BS

Is there any chance you could let the adults have a conversation about the subject of this thread?

Surely at this stage your apparent need to indulge in teenage rhetoric has been well and truly sated?

Pretty please?o_O

Sarenco

If you make a meaningful contribution to the topic, instead of trying to mud-sling (its just a waste of everyones time, its trolling and has no bearing on the topic) I will consider your request.

The title thread is clear. Your contributions are not.

But they clearly have nothing to do with the title thread.

I have no interest in getting dragged down one of your many rabbit holes.

Well the good news is you wont be relying on the government to pay you, they will be relying on you to pay them...€2,500pa.
Add in your other requirements of €1,500 and you have outgoings of €4,000pa.
So all you have to do is check the housing surveyor structural report of the property and decide if you would be interested in a scheme that could return you anything up to €24,000pa.
Your only concern is that other interested parties will offer to charge tenants a lower rent.
Do you think you could compete?

You think you'd have people competing with each other to charge lower rents in the middle of biggest shortage in the history of the state...and pay the govt to do so.

...good luck with that. I'm out.

You think you'd have people competing with each other to charge lower rents in the middle of biggest shortage in the history of the state...and pay the govt to do so.

In order to make a clear profit, absolutely.

Its very common, typically known as Public-Private Partnership

"A Public Private Partnership (PPP) is an arrangement between the public and private sectors (consistent with a broad range of possible partnership structures) with clear agreement on shared objectives for the delivery of public infrastructure and/or public services by the private sector that would otherwise have been provided through traditional public sector procurement.

One key aspect of the PPP approach is that risk is transferred to the party that can manage it best."

If cant see opportunity in the figures I gave you, that would obviously rule you out of "the party that can manage it best"

The lessons you've taken from this crisis are people and REIT will choose slow steady growth over a fast buck.
The Govt want to get back into building and owning social housing and affortable housing.

Despite all evidence of the exact opposite.

Sarenco

If you make a meaningful contribution to the topic, instead of trying to mud-sling (its just a waste of everyones time, its trolling and has no bearing on the topic) I will consider your request.
OK I'm making the same request.

Your "proposal" has received more than enough airtime here.

The rest of us don't bang on for pages upon pages continually seeking to justify our own ideas.

Get off the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back