How many estate agents...

karrie76

How many estate agents can you have selling your property at the one time? Are there rules and regulations regarding this? Also can anyone recommed a really good estate agent? Thanks....

AFAIK there is no limit to the amount of agents that can sell your house providing you have not signed a sole agency agreement with any single one.
Multiple estate agents means multiple agency costs, including signs, advertising and their "professional listing". You would need to be clear what you would be liable for and what would happen in the event that you sell through one - would you still have to pay a percentage to the others.
Personally speaking, I myself view a number of signs outside one house as a bad signal, and a notice that the house is difficult to shift. As a purchaser, I'd be looking extra hard at the locality and the condition of the house to find out the reasons for that. This is also something that you may want to consider.
HTH

Thanks Mo3art, I think I will be changing estate agents, the one we have at the moment is not doing a great job. Thanks again for the advice..

You're more than welcome Karrie - Before you terminate your agreement with your current estate agent, might i suggest a few things?
Firstly, bring to their attention that you are unhappy with their service, and ask them what they are going to do about it.
Secondly, clarify what agency fees you will be liable for on the termination of the agreement - Advertising, listing, viewing etc. (this can add up and cost in excess of €5K in some cases.
Should you enter into an agreement with another agent place the following items in the "terms & conditions of agency" (1) A weekly written update consisting of list of phone calls, viewings & status of any bids (2) No sale, no fee clause - meaning that if the property fails to sell through their agency, then you will only be liable for actual expenses incurred (3) A committed marketing budget, so that you will not have any nasty surprises, and they have to work with your money (€700 is more than adequate IMHO).
HTH
Mo

Bear in mind that although you are not happy with their performance there may be other reasons its not selling. I remember watching that chap Andrew Winter on the 'Selling Houses'program where he went to town on the agents trying to sell houses, and the agents had failed to point out to the vendor the reasons why the houses were not selling after multiple viewings, ie the decor/carpet/tiles were outdated/old/unsuitable to potential buyers. From my own experience Sherryfitz are straight to the point in this regard.

Back