How long should a claim take ?

Merlin

Hi,
Hoping to get some advice from you. I was taken out by a driver on a roundabout in May while cycling and broke my arm. The driver who initially stopped later chose not to engage with me any longer but after a visit from the Guards seemed to remember the accident and I was contacted by her insurance (7 weeks later).
So since June I have been dealing with this insurance. We established that I was not interested in going to through the personal injury board and just wanted my expenses (and the illness benefit paid by the DSP) reimbursed.

- the insurance has an accident report from the surgeon and the VHI clinic who treated me and all my receipts
- they then stated that they needed a report from my GP also
- I gave consent to my GP to release this information to the insurance (this was in July)
- Then a merry game ensued whereby the insurer said they had not received the report and my doctor said they had faxed them an invoice and waiting for payment before releasing the report
- It turned out the insurer does not have a fax machine, which I had to establish with many phone calls - eventually, in September I got the GP to stick the invoice in an envelope and post it and the report was received
- in October I was told that the insurance needed me to see one of their doctors before they could proceed with the claim - to date, I'm still waiting for the appointment
- I add that throughout this entire period I have had to contact the insurance every time, they do not keep me informed and I feel that this progresses only if I push them

Apologies for the long thread but please do let me know:

Is this the norm? The only dealings with Insurances I had were with my own car insurance and that claim was settled within 2 weeks

Thank you so much for your advice
Merlin

No reputable insurer does no have a fax machine. Are you certain you are dealing with an INSURER and not an intermediary?

Back