how long from sale agreed to contracts?

ilovecheese

I went sale agreed two weeks ago and paid a booking deposit the next day.

Since then I have heard nothing from the vendor.

Is this normal?

HOw long should you expect to wait from verbal agreement/booking deposit to contracts

I saw on one post here that it was 5 weeks - that seems like a long time to me!

And once the contracts arrive in your solicitors office can you sign them straight away or what happens then?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I;m in the same boat. I've been sale agreed for 4 weeks now and haven't heard squat.
Supposedly waiting on deeds or something from the bank before they issue contracts.
I have been caught out before where the vendor didn't contact me for 6 weeks and then it was only to tell me that they were withdrawing from the sale.
I am still looking at other houses while waiting for contracts to be issued to me. I would suggest that you do likewise, just in case like!!

It can take a while so don't panic. I think the solicitor has to get deeds sent from the bank then draw up contracts etc...the whole process can be very slow depending on the professionals you're dealing with!

You can't sign straight away, your solicitor will have to go through the contracts, plans etc., and there may be some conditions (eg. a surveyors report) that you may have to fulfill. Remember most solicitors will require you to have your loan offer before you sign so make sure all the bank stuff is in order.

Good luck!

I went sale agreed on the 25th May and signed contracts the last week in October. I lived at 7 addresses in those 4-5 months. But then again I was buying from a couple of nutcases in the middle of an acrimonious divorce. Plus i got 4-5 months capital appreciation before paying my mortgage. Hopefully you will not have to wait as long :)

We went sale agreed on Wednesday. Lucky for us we have the most efficient solicitor on the planet, she has had our contract for sale done since we told her we were moving so all she needed was purchasers name & solicitor and a closing date.
Contracts will be on buyers solicitors desk monday and we hope to close the whole thing the last week in july (or sooner if buyer agrees!)

"Supposedly waiting on deeds or something from the bank before they issue contracts."

This is quite commonplace. I would estimate that around 50% of house sellers do not bother to instruct their solicitor about a house sale until the house has gone "sale agreed". This can result in unnecessary delay.

Back