How Long does it take for changeover from JB to JA

paw1

Just received a letter from SW this morning stating that my JB is due to run out shortly and that I must fill out the attached forms if I wish to apply for JA, which I have now done and posted back to them. But I was wondering how long this process takes. Is it likely that my JB payment will expire before they get to processing my JA claim. I note that the letter from SW was dated the 4th of March so one week had already elapsed before I even received it. Anyone know how long in advance they send out the letters, is it one week, one month before JB runs out. Also with the civil servants on a work to rule is this likely to delay matters even further. Whats happens if I go to the post office to collect payment in the next few weeks and there is no payment there, because myself and the wife have lost jobs so we would have no money if the JB payment was finished.

You are lucky you got a letter at least, my partner got no warning and one day he went to the post office and there was no money for him, i'm on jobseekers as well and we went straght in and filled out the form for JA, went to the inspector for a means test the following week and been waiting since (it's been 4 weeks now). The inspector said it would take around 6 weeks so hope it will come through within the next two weeks because my JB ends in 2 weeks and we would be left with no money at all

Whats happens if I go to the post office to collect payment in the next few weeks and there is no payment there, because myself and the wife have lost jobs so we would have no money if the JB payment was finished.
If this happens you should visit your local Community Welfare Officer & apply for Supplemtary Welfare Allowance http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/swaqualify/Pages/swawilliqualify.aspx to bridge the gap until your Jobseekers Allowance payment comes through, which would be backdated to when you finished Jobseekers Benefit. Any (applicable) SWA payments would be deducted from your JSA backdated arrears. You should check with your local health centre to find the CWO's clinic days/times.

If you have kids then explain to Soc.Welfare that it is extremely urgent/pressing that you get your application sorted promptly. I did this recently for my med card application - got it in a few days when I said that my kids were sick and I needed the card asap.

Back