How long before property no longer listed on price register?

Pearl

I am wondering if there is a specific duration after which a property is no longer listed e.g. 5 years? Or is the sale price listed for all eternity?

I am thinking of situations where an investor bought 50+units of a multi unit development during the bust - all listed on the property price register at one third of market value. Individuals trying to sell in that same development are impacted by the fire sale prices appearing on the register.

Thanks in advance,

Pearl

It's definitely more than five years since the register goes back to 2011. But I can't think of any reason why properties would ever be taken off it.

Block purchases are usually fairly obvious because multiple properties all appear with the same sale date. Those prices were (unfortunately) not made available to the public, so prospective buyers ought to realise that.

I should have mentioned too -- because the identical sale dates make block purchases stand out, it's possible to analyse the PPR to find them. Some of the data is not in very good nick, but I did a rough analysis some time ago. If memory serves me right, the amount bought up in block purchases of residential property since 2013 runs to something north of 2.5 billion euro worth, and that's probably an underestimate. It gives you a vague idea how much has been sold off to vulture funds at the ultimate expense of domestic taxpayers who couldn't avail of the knockdown prices.

After these properties have been milked for exorbitant rental income for a few years they will eventually be sold back to the locals to make further vast profits, and quite likely set the scene for our next property bust. I don't think we've yet realised the half of what is still stored up for us from the last crash, the bailouts, and NAMA.

The data is publicly available in bulk, and permission is given to reproduce it. It'll be there forever. I'm sure people are aware that things were cheaper after the last bubble popped; shouldn't have any effect on current sales.

WorstPigeon, while I agree in general, many of the block purchases are of relatively recent vintage, when prices had already started rebounding strongly in Dublin. What's more, in some cases they were at knockdown prices compared to what Joe Public was paying in the same developments around the same time. The bottom line seems to be that vulture funds were offered large discounts to buy en bloc, at prices not available to anyone else. Presumably this was so that NAMA could shift tranches of non-performing assets without getting into the estate agent business itself.

Back