How legally binding is the cork city council's carer's agreement??

paddyjnr

I need to move back home to my mother's council house of 50 years and become a sub-tenant as I have got into great difficulty due to losing my house and failed marriage. It also makes a lot of sense that I can be there for my sick mother as well.
The problem is the Cork city Counsel will only allow me enter on a carer's agreement which states that in the event of anything happen I vacate the family home. Please keep in mind I grew up there and spent 21 years of my life in this house.
If signing is my only option as it seems to be before they will allow me in, will I do this and try make a claim afterwards or is there any other route I can go down....
I would really appreciate any help as I am seriously at my wits end regarding housing, there seems to be no answer to my problem....

But it's a council house? And you'll have accommodation for as long as your mother lives?

Why would you have any entitlement to stay after? Don't you think that the Council have to protect their housing stock and house people who have been on the housing list longer than you?

I think you should regard yourself as lucky that you have somewhere to go - and even if it's just stop gap, it will give you time to, hopefully, get back on your feet.

mf

I am sure when the time comes, they will give you some grace period. When your mother's tenancy ends, they will have to assess and renovate the property anyway for prospective new tenants.

But it's a council house? And you'll have accommodation for as long as your mother lives?

Why would you have any entitlement to stay after? Don't you think that the Council have to protect their housing stock and house people who have been on the housing list longer than you?

I think you should regard yourself as lucky that you have somewhere to go - and even if it's just stop gap, it will give you time to, hopefully, get back on your feet.

mf
I do know that but it's also our family home and there are so many others out there who have managed to stay in their family homes on the rent book even after parents die.
It will be a full time job alone looking after her therefore I won't get much of a chance to get my life back together with the final result being mother die's and I get evicted from my family home in my own country ... seems a little unfair... I should be still living in my own house which I bought for hard earned money but because of illness, marriage problems and corrupt bankers I lost the lot and to add insult to injury I couldn't reside in my premises because I needed treatment in a different county and the bankers have taken 3 years to re-possess, all the time this house is like a noose around my neck as I'm not entitled to any assistance with it and still not on the housing list... So it's not all as clear cut as it seems.... I could be on the housing list for the last 13 years but I decided to do the decent thing and buy.... little did I know what I was getting myself into......

I do know that but it's also our family home and there are so many others out there who have managed to stay in their family homes on the rent book even after parents die.
who are these people and are they living there all their lives?

How many roms in the house? The council may argue that if it is a three bed house for example and may be as you say it is your family home, that you do not need a three bed house if you are living alone.

See this case

If signing is my only option as it seems to be before they will allow me in, will I do this and try make a claim afterwards or is there any other route I can go down....
can you sign, move in as carer and also apply for housing of your own?

Back