How is it going with the movement of your savings abroad?

Discussion in 'Deposits' started by Godfather, 29 Sep 2010.

1. zenzen

zenzen Frequent Poster

I am a bit confused about this subject, is Rabo bank considered a foreign bank and is there tax implications to moving my savings to them? I have a relatively small amount of savings but am very very nervous it will be lost, its currently in a 21 day notice account in ptsb and I want to move it somewhere secure.

2. Bcommercial

Bcommercial Frequent Poster

Ordinary photocopy of passport (inside & out), and utility/bank statement suffice fully.

3. TripleAceIRL

TripleAceIRL Registered User

did anybody try this?

barclayswealth.com/international/savings.htm

any comments please? Thank you.

4. chewchew

chewchew Frequent Poster

Thanks galleryman I'll give them a buzz tomorrow

@Troy: Good point about currency fluctuations. I am thinking of moving the money to the UK mostly because I can easily travel up North to open the account, someone here told me that NI banks will allow people with addresses in the republic to open accounts. Is that the case with Germany and France also? Are there any French or German banks that will allow you open an account online and without presenting yourself at one of their branches?

5. superhooper

superhooper Frequent Poster

How about putting some deposits into to a Swiss bank? Any suggestions?

6. damson

damson Frequent Poster

Hi Troy. Can you tell us the name of the bank that allowed walk-in account opening like this? Is it a non-resident account or have you connections in France that would have facilitated the process?
    Thanks.

7. farmerette

farmerette Frequent Poster

check out this website for todays market rate , your local bank is likely to be a few points below the market

an alternative is to go through this crowd

http://www.knightsbridgefx.com/

8. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Frequent Poster

It was Societe Generale bank in France. It is a non resident account which means you have to sort your own tax out on this side in respect to interest earned.
    I have no connections but speaking some French helps and I just used my address in Ireland. However if thats not the case I would just call up a large branch and ask do they have someone who has some English and explore options with them.
    I needed passport and Irish tax clearance cert (attainable from revenue.ie) and forms need to be signed. I dont see why this could not be done through correspondance. Might take longer but if you cant go over it's an option. If you can take in a weekend in Paris and visit a bank on the Saturday morning then make sure you make an appointment first.
    As for Swiss bank I believe there is more higher tax rate for outside EU not to mention those currency flucations.