How is credit file in UK impacted when declaring bankruptcy in Ireland?

Adecco

So I've finally decided to go bankrupt in Ireland.

I owe money to Irish banks and to HMRC.

Will my credit file in the UK show 'bankrupt' due to the HMRC debt - even though it is Ireland I am declaring bankruptcy in? Or will it be impacted at all given that it is Ireland I am going bankrupt?

Last edited:
UK credit files do not show HRMC debt, unless they have obtained judgment against you or if you appeared on a Tax Defaulters list.

There are 3 main commercially available "credit file" companies in the UK, and I do not believe that they track Irish bankruptcies.

Jim Stafford

Jim.

That's very interesting. To be honest I fully expected the reply to be that it would be effected.
If I'm understanding you correctly then it's very good news for me as bankruptcy seriously impacts my job prospects in the uk. (where I like to work)

Just to be clear - HMRC have not obtained a judgement and I am not on a defaulters list. It was a debt that does not have to be paid until 2019 (a tax scheme that was retrospectively judged by HMRC to be tax avoidance)

My assumption was that the OA in Ireland would notify HMRC that they won't be paid.

I thought HMRC (or even the OA?) would then inform the relevant credit agencies in the UK
OR
would that not be an opportune time to put me on a defaulters list? (I would have defaulted at that point - unless that list is reserved for people who are caught with tax evasion?)

So you are saying this is not the case ? They would simply sit on the information and not do anything with it other than write off the debt? It does seem a bit surprising.

Essentially my query is would I maintain my current perfect credit rating in the U.K. post bankruptcy?

Last edited:
The OA will notify HMRC of your bankruptcy.

There is no "official" credit rating agencies in Ireland or the UK: all agencies are privately ran.

The HMRC cannot be seen to be distributing personal data to private agencies.

Jim Stafford

Thats great Jim. That's a relief. That was the one issue that was deterring me from going bankrupt all along.

Back