Best Buy How good is PureTelecom Gigabit Fibre broadband?

TestLink

Shopping around for a Gigabit fibre broadband at the moment. I have Eir, DigiWeb, PureTelecom offering 1 Gbps fibre in my estate now. Eir customer support is not that good. So considering other options available.

Any of you use PureTelecom Gigabit Fibre broadband at home or office? Are the speeds stable or fluctuate? How good is their customer support?

Thanks...

There are only three companies putting in fibre-to-the-home: Eir, SIRO and Virgin Media. Digiweb and PureTelecom are just reselling the Eir or SIRO connection.

I've had Eir's FTTH for a few months now and found it absolutely rock solid, no complaints. If I was concerned about Eir's customer service I woudl not be inclined to go through a reseller where you're simply adding another link in the chain if you ever do have issues.

What you might consider though is checking whether it is Eir's FTTH or SIRO's that is available to you (or could be both!). You could avoid Eir altogether by taking the SIRO option from one of their resellers (they don't sell direct, though note SIRO is a JV between ESB and Vodafone so buying from Vodafone is as direct as it will get).

Are you getting 1 Gbps speed consistently at all times?

Would you be able to set the Eir modem in Modem or Bridge mode, so that I can connect the telephone on to it and use my own router for getting internet on all the devices in my house?

Are you getting 1 Gbps speed consistently at all times?
Like Zenith, I took Eir's FTTH package and it's working a dream. In relation to those speeds, I'm getting at least an 850+mB at each of the rooms that I have a network cable to (cat 5e), as I got the router placed into the attic and all the network cables are terminated up there.

To be honest, I'm not sure I need the 1G package, but as both parents working from home, kids school / entertainment requirements, I didn't want to have any contention in relation to a lot devices being online at the same time.

Wireless connection speed will be a lot less that the 1G, so be aware that you won't get anywhere near that speed if you are using just wireless from your single router - you could set up different configurations for a wireless network, but anything I've tried doesn't get me close to the hard wire connections.

Agree with everything Jazz01 has said there.

Fast.com shows a fairly consistent 1Gb/s download, 100Mb/s upload. Speedtest.net shows more like 950Mb/s down, 100Mb/s up. But that's because my PC has a wired connection, Wifi speed tests show more like 100Mb/s (from an iPhone11 with decent Ubiquiti access points, also wired).

I had Virgin Media 350Mb/s over coax previously and to be honest notice no difference at any time other than downloading large files. We'd be fairly heavy Internet users with lots of smart home devices connected, multiple PCs/phones online all day and two home workers. Next time around I'll take whichever is cheaper between Virgin Media cable and Eir/SIRO FTTH as gigabit is not necessary for our usage currently.

Back