How far in advance to plan a wedding?

According to a number of my friends and acquaintances, you're highly unlikely to get a decent venue for a summer Fri/Sat/Sun wedding unless you're booking about 2 years in advance.

We are getting married some time in 2009 and so far we've done nothing. To be honest, I am sick and tired of hearing that you have to book your wedding venue about 12 years in advance, that it takes about 3 years to make a flippin' dress and that a crappy cake costs €3k.

We've decided to bypass the whole wedding industry (will refrain from using the no-no word) and have a party in a marqee, with a huge barbecue, free drinks and a DJ. My partner was married before so we have to have a civil ceremony so our immediate families and closest friends will be brought out to a lavish lunch to mark the occasion. Otherwise, I'd rather chew off my own ear than fight for overpriced, substandard rubbish only because it has a word 'wedding' in its name.

YAAAAYYY!!!!! Go Yachtie!!!
I fully agree with you. One question - where are you gonna have the marquee? Do you have a garden for it to go in?

YAAAAYYY!!!!! Go Yachtie!!!
I fully agree with you. One question - where are you gonna have the marquee? Do you have a garden for it to go in?

We are both members of a private club which often hosts all sorts of events and often has marquees put up. They also have a bank of barbecues and a longish list of entertainers they often use. As members, we get all the drinks at a club prices and since we won't be spending ridiculous amounts of money to match colour of the napkins with the bridesmaid's dress, we can afford a free bar. I'm sure our guests will appreciate it better. ;)

We are both members of a private club which often hosts all sorts of events and often has marquees put up. They also have a bank of barbecues and a longish list of entertainers they often use. As members, we get all the drinks at a club prices and since we won't be spending ridiculous amounts of money to match the napkins with the bridesmaid's dress, we can afford a free bar.

sounds fantastic. well done to you for doing something a little bit different and not playing into the 'wedding industry' waffle.

i hope it all goes wonderfully well for you!

spending ridiculous amounts of money to match colour of the napkins with the bridesmaid's dress
Have to pick you up on this one! I'm planning a wedding at the moment, and matching colours on things that we're going to be getting anyway is my cheap and cheerful way of making it all look coordinated and special without resorting to wasting money on "extras" like ice sculptures, fireworks or dancing ponies etc etc!! :D
A little bit of planning and effort can go a long way!

Oh and we booked a very nice and well-reviewed venue for 60 people for this September two weeks ago.

Having read through this thread I'm starting to get a little apprehensive about planning my own wedding! Just recently engaged and we're planning on enjoying the engagement for a while with a view to getting married in 2010. Are we mad to sit around and enjoy it or should we be looking at venues and bookings now if we want a 2010 wedding???

you might be better off looking now. We are getting married in 2010 and we have everything booked early just to get it out of the way! The hotel we looked at already had their summer 2010 booked up.

Wow thats a bit worrying!! We're looking at something very small in Dublin - looks like we better get cracking so!

The Best venues/photographers etc get booked up very early, and certain dates always seem to be more popular...anything around a weekend bank holiday for example, or new years eve.

I just skimmed through some of the posts in this thread, so I'm not sure if anyone has already mentioned this: start looking at dresses as soon as possible! I almost had a panic attack when I started looking about 4 months prior to my wedding, and was told that the lead time for most places is 6 months. Of course, they can put a rush on the dress of your dreams ... for a fee. But it is definitely something worth bearing in mind if you're planning to buy anything other than a ready-made gown.

Hi, I just recently got engaged and we're getting married in June 09. We are having a small'ish wedding of around 60 people. We were able to get some venues at that short notice (on a Friday) but the one we actually wanted has no Fridays/Saturdays available for the whole of 2009. If I were you, I would book the church/venue as soon as possible and then enjoy being engaged for a while. It really depends how small your wedding will be and the time of year.

My dress will also take 6 months so I needed to order that the week after we got engaged and then the registrar has a 3 month waiting list (need to attend this at least three months before your wedding).

They are the main things you need to do early.

If you have a date you cant change, dont worry, you will get something, your choice will just be limited.
Im involved with a wedding band. We're booked into late 2010 and have enquiries for 2011 (which we refuse, could all be dead by then).

Point is, if you want to avoid all the rushing to get preferred venue, dress, cake, band, DJ etc, book ASAP and get the worry off your mind, else take it easy and go the different route with marquees, restaraunts, married abroad etc.
Nothing wrong with either method, its whatever floats yer boat. Best wedding I was ever at was (bar my own) was in Carusos restaraunt in malahide and then on to the morrisson hotel nightclub on a thursday night which had a reserved area for us. Worst was a foreign one in Lanzarote. In fact, been to 4 foreign weddings, whilst the others werent so bad, none of them were fantastic.

My own wedding was pushed forward 8 years ago when we got an august bank holiday saturday cancellation in our preferred Dublin hotel at 3 month notice when the bride had cancelled due becoming pregnant, we had rang looking for that date a year hence at the time when the banqueting manager said it had become free that year. Few phone calls later and we decided to go for it. woohooo, I raised a glass to impregnator, who got a mention in the speech. :D

There are a few things that engaged couples should be aware of in relation to forward planning for a wedding. You may feel that a wedding in 12 or 18 months time is Ages Away... but I can tell you from doing weddings for over 30 years that this is a false assumption; if you want the Best for your special day.

On whatever Day your wedding takes place, there will be at least 5 other wedding ceremonies being celebrated on the same day in your own LOCAL area. Even more than this, will take place in larger urban areas.

This means that 5 or more other Brides are making their plans for their OWN wedding ceremony on the SAME day as YOUR wedding takes place. These plans will encompass their preferences for their Church, Hotel and Wedding Suppliers.

This does not really create a problem if you are booking your Flowers or your Wedding Cake; because the same supplier, can arrange multiples of each product on the same day. But what about the other types of wedding vendor; those who provide a Professional Service ?

Consider your Wedding Band, your Church Music, your Magician or Entertainer, your Wedding Photographer and whatever Videographer you are considering to record your Wedding Video or DVD ? Each of these vendors can only provide their services to ONE wedding couple.

Therefore, the bride who gets to the provider FIRST will have gotten first preference. But be aware that phoning to request prices or availability will not guarantee you the date you want. The only Guarantee that you will have the best vendor, is if you pay a deposit to hold your date in his diary.

But remember; about those OTHER brides who looking for these people as well, and the best vendors will have full diaries at least 12 months in advance. My suggestion is to decide which vendor can only attend ONE wedding per day; and then book them as soon as you can after confirming your wedding date with your hotel.

In this way, you can rest assured that the most critical sections of your wedding day are already covered and you can then take your time in finalising all the other essentials closer to the day, without any pressure.

Gerry Duffy, Dundalk

http://www.weddingdates.ie/

It depends on what you want? and if you don't mention the w word until the last minute for dj/ band etc!
Just think - if the old age dinner dance can be organised in 6 months why are brides and grooms being told you must book every thing at least 2 years in advance.

Thats it Pennypitstop.
I am getting married in October this year, but as its a non traditional wedding I am finding no problems booking the things I need.

Thats it Pennypitstop.
I am getting married in October this year, but as its a non traditional wedding I am finding no problems booking the things I need.
people have been at this lark for thousands of years and once you realise its going to be unique enough because never before have you or your partner married each other (unless you got plastered in Vegas!).
Just think of all the folks who want the WOW factor - what nobody else has (doves/ chocie fountain/ horse and carraige/ fireworks etc. )... now think what will bring a smile to your face on the day, and go with that - its probably going to cost you half nothing compared to the "must haves".

I also found when i was planning that i noticed every last detail of other peoples wedding days and was delighted when i noticed something was left out as i could "get away without it too - someone had set the precident" now that i am married i don't notice whether there are chocolates or butter on the table, flowers, how many free drinks etc - just the ambiance and craic!

Back