How easy is it to switch Brokers?

P

patchz

Hi All,
I am considering changing my broker (guess who? Sharewatch) for all the usual reasons like my portfolio valuation not being up to date, I can hardly ever buy shares online so God only knows what will happen when I need to sell them. As my shares are in a Crest Account is there an easy mechanism to switch brokers without creating hassle for myself?

Thanks in advance

It isnt too difficult but there is usually a switching out fee of approx 30EUR (varies) per line of stock. Also you may find it difficult to get another broker who will offer a CREST account if you have Irish equities.

I have another question on this - if you change broker, can you take your existing CREST account with you? Or if you leave a broker, does the CREST account get closed, and you have to open a new CREST account with another broker? And then get your existing shares transferred into it?

I too am thinking of leaving Sharewatch, i'm sick of their patheyic customer service, and they have now started charging to convert Euros into Sterling.

I see that Campbell O'Connor offer CREST accounts. What are people's experiences with them???

Back