How does your garden grow? (Fruit & Veg)

I love vegan, but i don´t know how to grow veg on my balcony :(.

Very easy to do this with some planter bags from Dealz for 1 euro 49 cents.
Or else ask a local garden centre for some empty compost bags for free.

Roll down the empty bag to half its height,and fill it half way with some compost and you can then plant the likes of seed spuds and grow some lovely potatoes for your dinner.

You can also do this with onions and garlic and also with tomato plants too.

You can grow cabbage and lettuce in small rectangular planters that you can get in Deals or EuroGiant for less than 2 euro.

Just because you have a balcony doesnt mean you cant grow some nice fruit and veg.......YOU CAN.:)

This is my first year growing raspberries and I'm amazed at the longevity of them. We have been picking berries now for about 10 weeks and they're still coming! Is this a great season for raspberries or can I expect this yield every year?

This is my first year growing raspberries and I'm amazed at the longevity of them. We have been picking berries now for about 10 weeks and they're still coming! Is this a great season for raspberries or can I expect this yield every year?
For fruit and seeds this was a {mast} year. Every so often a year comes were all fruits/seeds do exceptionally well. I do not think anyone knows why.
That said , unless you get a very miserable summer raspberries should continue to do well in our climate; so enjoy them.

Thanks folks. Am certainly enjoying them Gerry, also have a nice harvest frozen for the winter months! :D
Point noted on them spreading Slurry, I've them fairly well positioned so should be able to control them quite well - although I won't mind if they spread a small bit! :)

We are still enjoying our late planted lettuce, turnips and an incredible amount of broad beans. Our spinach and curly Kale keeps growing, can't eat it fast enough. We have frozen a lot of stuff also to see us through the winter. Our late sowing from seed of cabbages are producing enough leaves to have a few meals also. I am working on adding one more raised bed to my existing to extend my next year's growing. Add the above to the cheap offerings from Lidl and Aldi and I have to say that my food outlay for the year is quite low. We had 6 for lunch last Saturday and the whole meal cost less than €10 for the lot of us (O.K. the Eton Mess added a bit of extra cost). Great fun.

cyprusfever,

Try a few radishes in a bag/pot. They grow really easily in small spaces and are great on their own or on salad.
Can make even a bought bag of salad leaves into something impressive to serve !

I would like to grow "sweet potatoes" this year. Has anyone tried these before and any recommendations or tips?

We planted our Homeguard potatoes on St. Patrick's Day and I expect to start "earthing up" next week. Lettuces growing well despite slug attack. We expect to be eating these within two weeks. Rest of the items that we planted straight into the ground are slow growing. Spinach & Kale very slow. Pak Choi, Beetroot, Swedes and Turnip beginning to show their heads. 50% success rate with peas, Mange Tout, Broad Beans and French Beans. Of these Mange Tout growing the best.
Still eating Cabbages and Chard from last year but gone a bit leggy though. Probably should have waited another week or so before seeding outside as the nights are still cold.

Update to my previous post. The spinach and Kale that was very slow last month is now growing extremely well and we are eating it every day. We can't keep up with the lettuce leaves, we could supply the local shop at this stage. great from a packet of seeds that cost less than a Euro. I must remember to plant them over a period of time rather than in one lot. We will have a super crop of turnips, Swedes and Beetroot if the leaves are anything to go by. Peas, Broad Beans, Mange Tout are all growing well. These were mostly sown direct into the ground. The only negative is that I used 40 litres of water on these plants this evening.
I expect to start harvesting our potatoes within the next two weeks.
I would love to hear how other people are doing.....

Things are very slow in our garden this year. Onions, garlic, Kale, Cabbage, all well behind where we would expect them to be at this time of the year. Beetroot again is very slow - it's coming along but at a snails pace. Peas are looking quite good and fruit (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples) all looking very good and potatoes are where we expect them. In the past week things have started to move on so hopefully with the next week promising more sun and heat everything should catch up.
In the greenhouse our first attempt at courgettes is proving a winner already - I think we overdid it with 3 plants but the neighbours might be happy to take any surplus! :) Cucumber plants (again first attempt) are a bit slower to come along but still look healthy. Tomatoes will soon be ready to start picking but our one disappointment is we just could not get peppers going at all - seeds just would not germinate - do you need a propagator to get these going?

I planted Homeguard potatoes back around St. Patricks Day. Harvested my first few plants today. Looks like a good crop. Spotlessly clean. Very tasty.

I'll resurrect this thread to ask the experts some advice.

We have a lovely apple tree at the side of our house that gave a lot of apples last year. The garden is 4 foot or so below the foot path. I did some work on the house a few months ago that saw a lot of soil being dug up. We dumped this at the side to build a ramp up to 1 section of the footpath to allow bike access.
This means that soil now covers about 3 foot of the base of the apple tree that would normally be above ground.

Now the tree has blossomed and seems to be normal. But will this extra soil do any damage? Will it essentially mean no water getting into the tree roots as it now has too far to travel?

I'm no gardening expert but have heard it can cause problems because the bark is not designed to be buried and doing so can cause rot or disease.

Back