how does a judgement mortgae affect the other person on deeds?

C

canarys1

i have recently been put in the position where a judgement mortgage has been placed on my house because of my partners personal debt not being made. it is safe to say that the partner is now an ex but i wondered as i am still living in the house, where my ex partner has moved out, how does this affect me for the future? i would sell if i could but the house is in negative equity and i cannot cover the shortfall to the bank if i sold at a loss. solicitor is saying there is not much i can do but he is so vague i am still left wondering. my partners debt is now being managed by mabs but not in time before the jugdement was set. is there anything i should do for my own benefit. i have never defaulted on a mortgage payment partly due to the fact that it was coming from my bank account. please help

"is there anything i should do for my own benefit. "

1. Learn your lesson. Its a lesson for anyone who buys with someone else- it is a shame that you are the one left with the problem.
2. Never get yourself in this situation ever again.
3. Never get involved with anyone like this again.
4. How could this debt be incurred without you knowing it?
5. If the ex cannot pay the debt, the creditor can sell the house - you will be entitled to your half but that is of little comfort to you if the house price will not cover the mortgage.
6. Hope that your ex. manages to recover their finances and pays off the debt.
7. Pay the debt yourself and try and transfer ownership of the property so that ex. is off title.

mf

thanks mf1, had to take loan out to cover debt he incurred on my cc so paying debt myself i just cannot do, even if i wanted to. how i didnt know was that he hid my post. when i requested statement i was told they had def sent them out.i found all these things when going through his paperwork when he left. will never put myself in any way like this again. am maybe more naive than i thought. this certainly makes a good case for per-nups. was worried whether i should contact bank myself to talk about situation. have good relationship with them so far. and also whether i should get something drawn up with solicitor to say he no longer contributes to mortgage

Back