Fair Deal/Nursing Homes How does a "deferral" work and what's required please?

MrEarl

Hello,

My relatives availed of The Fair Deal Scheme, to provide for the long term care for one of the parties. Unfortunitely, that party has now died.

The scheme served its purpose well, and there's no disputing the obligation etc.

However, as the family home was jointly owned, and the surviving spouse continues to reside there (and will inherit their late wife's interest in the property), I'm wondering if they are automatically entitled to a deferral on the payment which has now fallen due, and if so, what's involved, and how long can the payment be deferred for (and, if there's a cost?)?

The surviving party is elderly, earning circa €40k gross per annum, has no other debts or obligations, and the maximum payment is due under the scheme (ie 22.5% / 2 = 11.25% of the value of the house).

Many thanks.

Hello,

My relatives availed of The Fair Deal Scheme, to provide for the long term care for one of the parties. Unfortunitely, that party has now died.

The scheme served its purpose well, and there's no disputing the obligation etc.

However, as the family home was jointly owned, and the surviving spouse continues to reside there (and will inherit their late wife's interest in the property), I'm wondering if they are automatically entitled to a deferral on the payment which has now fallen due, and if so, what's involved, and how long can the payment be deferred for (and, if there's a cost?)?

The surviving party is elderly, earning circa €40k gross per annum, has no other debts or obligations, and the maximum payment is due under the scheme (ie 22.5% / 2 = 11.25% of the value of the house).

Many thanks.

1. The surviving spouse is entitled to apply for a deferral and is almost certain to be granted it. The application must be made to the Nursing Home Loan Support Office

2. The payment due can be deferred until the surviving partner dies or the property is sold. There is no extra charge for deferring.

See here for more info: https://www2.hse.ie/services/fair-d...#Deferring-repayment-of-the-nursing-home-loan

Back