How do you find the solicitor who drafted a will

Find out who they sold the practice to , they will have your will
How? The actual practice has vanished. It's gone a good few years now; mind you, it's now irrelevant as I got married in the meantime... and we haven't made a will together yet, so if I pop my clogs I assume my spouse gets everything and vice versa.

I can't believe there still is no mandatory central registry. Unbelievable.

...we haven't made a will together yet, so if I pop my clogs I assume my spouse gets everything and vice versa.

You know what they say about assumptions...

Make a will, it's cheap as chips & saves a lot of hassle in the end.

You know what they say about assumptions...

Make a will, it's cheap as chips & saves a lot of hassle in the end.

Yes, we're both aware of this, but situation complicated... we were hoping we'd have settled down by now, but as it's not likely to happen for a good while yet, due to pandemic and employment etc, I suppose we should sit down and have a chat. Thanks!

Yes, we're both aware of this, but situation complicated...

It's very simple and quick once you'd decided how the solicitor should draft it.

Ours took about a week from first email to solicitor to signature.

We made two wills in the space of two years and are thinking of making another.

It's about as much time and hassle as changing utility provider.

How? The actual practice has vanished. It's gone a good few years now; mind you, it's now irrelevant as I got married in the meantime... and we haven't made a will together yet, so if I pop my clogs I assume my spouse gets everything and vice versa.

I can't believe there still is no mandatory central registry. Unbelievable.

Question on this - in this case Gordanus made a will and then got married. If Gordanus does die before making a new will I assume the contents of the old will apply regardless of the fact he's got married since? So potentially the spouse would get nothing. (This of course assumes someone goes to the effort of finding the will.)

Question on this - in this case Gordanus made a will and then got married. If Gordanus does die before making a new will I assume the contents of the old will apply regardless of the fact he's got married since? So potentially the spouse would get nothing. (This of course assumes someone goes to the effort of finding the will.)
No, marriage made the previous will null and void, as far as I know.

No, marriage made the previous will null and void, as far as I know.
The will stands, if made in contemplation of the marriage. The Surviving Spouse has statutory entitlements, including their Legal Right Share (this share depends on whether or not there are children) and/or the right to take the Family Home. The election by the surviving spouse to take their entitlements may have a significant impact on the Will as far as the entitlements of other named beneficiaries and legatees are concerned. For example, the Testator cannot disinherit a spouse of their entitlement to the Family Home by leaving it to, say, the local Dog Charity. In that instance, the Spouse can elect to take the Family Home. This would have the effect of causing the gift of the Family Home to the Dog Charity
to fail.

Last edited:
Back