How do we deal with falling home ownership/ build more houses - long thread

We need to increase supply and reduce the cost of providing that supply.
Then the job would be oxo. I'm not sure the policy makers can fix much. Me thinks they've ended up with Father Ted's car. It will probably fix itself over time as people have fewer kids, later in life, and the population stagnates. I've advised my kids to try to marry an only child ;).

There are 2 separate points here. 1) increasing supply of housing, 2) dealing with inequality.

Ramping up supply will help some people, it doesn't deal with the broad inequality. Just because more people own doesn't mean the gap between the well off (owners) and less well off (tenant) is any way reduced.

As for dealing with the inequalities a combination of taxes (on owners) and/or subsidies (for tenants) would go some some way to leveling the field.

Build a new purpose-built town in the Midlands with a high-speed rail link direct into Dublin City Centre. Cap the price of the properties to suit the proverbial “nurse and the guard”.

There are 2 separate points here. 1) increasing supply of housing, 2) dealing with inequality.

Ramping up supply will help some people, it doesn't deal with the broad inequality. Just because more people own doesn't mean the gap between the well off (owners) and less well off (tenant) is any way reduced.

As for dealing with the inequalities a combination of taxes (on owners) and/or subsidies (for tenants) would go some some way to leveling the field.
Increasing supply in a normal market will reduce cost. We already have the highest levels of social transfers in the EU so I don't think inequality is a problem. We just have to tax capital a bit more and tax labour a bit less.

This from Finfactsis a very good overview of the property market and the issues it faces. There's no "if only they just did this" type solution.

I agree that homeownerhip isn't the glorious panacea to a housing crisis
It certainly worked in averting a looming crisis in the 1990s
I'm not sure lowering building standards does anything in the longer-term. We want to avoid building the tenements of tomorrow for the sake of a short term fix.
I live in a cosy, warm and structurally sound house built around 22 years ago for circa €100,000. It would be illegal to build the same house anywhere in Ireland today. That's crazy.

As for your 'tenements of tomorrow' cliche, I guess you don't know what a tenement is?
We don't have a great track record of meeting standards at the best of time and a considerable amount of construction resources will be spent fixing the problems of previous builders over the next couple of years.
Vastly more will be spent on the consequences of the housing and homelessness crisis.
I know that the incentives to build tomorrow will be more than they are today, so why not wait to build.
Because, more than a decade into this ever-worsening housing crisis, during which time almost nothing has been built, we can't afford to postpone corrective action any longer.

Build a new purpose-built town in the Midlands with a high-speed rail link direct into Dublin City Centre. Cap the price of the properties to suit the proverbial “nurse and the guard”.
Who'll build it? Our construction sector workforce is still more than 30% lower than it was 20 years ago, despite our population being 20% more people in the country, and the construction sector is just as labour intensive, wasteful and incompetent as it was then.

And contributed to a different crises a decade later.

Because, more than a decade into this ever-worsening housing crisis, during which time almost nothing has been built, we can't afford to postpone corrective action any longer.

This comes back to credibility of policy. If a builder knows they'll get better government supports tomorrow (and probably higher profit) why not wait. If we had a cross party agreement on an a single approach it might encourage more construction.

I live in a cosy, warm and structurally sound house built around 22 years ago for circa €100,000. It would be illegal to build the same house anywhere in Ireland today. That's crazy.

As for your 'tenements of tomorrow' cliche, I guess you don't know what a tenement is?

Vastly more will be spent on the consequences of the housing and homelessness crisis.

What gets me is the notion that this is somehow a uniquely Irish problem. Housing affordability, a shortage of social housing and price to income multiples are a problem across most of the developed world. I see it as a consequence of the necessary response to the 2008 crash where we flooded the world with new money and the longer term effect of automation and AI on production and productivity where more wealth creation is done by capital so less of the share of created wealth is retained by labour.

The idea that the government of a small democracy which is structed to have strong Parliaments and weak Governments, and which is one of the most open economies in the world, can somehow fix the problem is ridiculous. The most they can do is mitigate the impact of this global phenomenon and if you look at the data they've actually done a relatively good job of doing that.

Purpose-built new towns normally equate to ghettos.
not if it is done right, I'm no fan of Milton Keynes and it's numbered roundabouts and roads but I know people who live there and love it and it does seem pleasant if a bit soulless.

Likewise look at the continent and places like San Sebastian where there has been significant new build of appartment blocks in recent years but the ground floor are retailers and businesses, there is a playground or play area for kids within a couple of minutes walk of each block, no shortage of schools etc.

we need to build communities, not houses

And contributed to a different crises a decade later.
No it didn't. It was the panicked decision of the political class in 2009 led by the sadly dying Minister Brian Lenihan to constructively outlaw new housing building and investment that turned a temporary crisis into a permanent one, now mutating into a full-blown disaster.
This comes back to credibility of policy. If a builder knows they'll get better government supports tomorrow (and probably higher profit) why not wait. If we had a cross party agreement on an a single approach it might encourage more construction.
Best way to avert this is not to wait at all. Stop the procrastination and solve the problem now. If we have to wait for cross-party support, we'll be here til doomsday.

not if it is done right, I'm no fan of Milton Keynes and it's numbered roundabouts and roads but I know people who live there and love it and it does seem pleasant if a bit soulless.

Likewise look at the continent and places like San Sebastian where there has been significant new build of appartment blocks in recent years but the ground floor are retailers and businesses, there is a playground or play area for kids within a couple of minutes walk of each block, no shortage of schools etc.

we need to build communities, not houses
San Sebastian is the polar opposite of a purpose-built new town.

The relative success of Milton Keynes does not contradict my point that these places normally equate to ghettos.

The idea that the government of a small democracy which is structed to have strong Parliaments and weak Governments, and which is one of the most open economies in the world, can somehow fix the problem is ridiculous. The most they can do is mitigate the impact of this global phenomenon and if you look at the data they've actually done a relatively good job of doing that.
It's only a global phenomenon because governments are copying each others' actions with similarly negative results. George Osborne and more recently Michael Gove have at various stages introduced into the UK the same policies that wrecked housing builds and investment in Ireland from 2009 onwards. The UK are therefore now heading in the same path as we took a decade ago. It won't end well there either.

It is an Irish government that will ultimately address and resolve the Irish housing crisis.

Last edited:
I already have, see my last post above.

See my first post in this thread.
Very easy.

1. Build loads of more houses and apartments for rental and owner occupier use.
Who'll build them? We don't have that vast pool of cheap Accession State labour this time around.
2. Dramatically cut building regulations and levies back to early Celtic Tiger era levels.
Get rid of the Levies but we need enforcement of the regulations and the State sector is useless and inefficient at doing that.
3. Do likewise with planning restrictions.
As long as ribbon development houses have to pay the full cost of connections to utilities such as eater, sewage, electricity and broadband.
4. Cut CGT on residential development land to 10% for a 3 year period.
Will that work?
5. Reintroduce a form of section 23 relief for new properties built or restored from dereliction within the same period
Good idea. I'd also ban any reassessments for Rates for 10 years for shops etc that convert their upper floors to residential units.
6. Ignore the naysayers and objectors.

San Sebastian is the polar opposite of a purpose-built new town.

The relative success of Milton Keynes does not contradict my point that these places normally equate to ghettos.
Areas turning into ghettos is not a result of the properties, it is a result of the residents.

Who'll build them? We don't have that vast pool of cheap Accession State labour this time around.
We didn't have them in 1997-2001 either and things still worked out fine.
Get rid of the Levies but we need enforcement of the regulations and the State sector is useless and inefficient at doing that.
No, we need fewer regulations.
As long as ribbon development houses have to pay the full cost of connections to utilities such as eater, sewage, electricity and broadband.
No. I want to encourage building, not discourage it.
Will that work?
No idea. A variation of it worked wonders last time round. It's worth trying. The beauty of it is that if it doesn't work or is a flop, it can be reversed overnight.
Good idea. I'd also ban any reassessments for Rates for 10 years for shops etc that convert their upper floors to residential units.
Or even their lower floors.

We didn't have them in 1997-2001 either and things still worked out fine.
Completions went from 35.5k to 47.5k during that time with a growth rate that was consistent since 1991. The big increase in completions came after 2001. We've a million more people in the country, our construction workforce is still 30% below the peek and the whole global economy has changed.
No, we need fewer regulations.
I'm fine with that but we need to enforce whatever ones we have. That requires State employees and they always slow things down.
No. I want to encourage building, not discourage it.
But that's a massive subsidy from the State to the home owner. That constitutes very bad value for money.
No idea. A variation of it worked wonders last time round. It's worth trying. The beauty of it is that if it doesn't work or is a flop, it can be reversed overnight.
True.
Or even their lower floors.
Yep.

Back