How do the new rent controls affect selling and buying a rental property?

I am confused by above as I thought that while you could raise the rent subject to the 4% annual cap that this could only be done every two years. ie 8% with 90 days notice every two years.

Hi Dermot

That was the way the Minister's amendment was originally drafted. Apparently that wasn't what he actually intended so he amended his own amendment at the 11th hour - see page 4 of this thread:-

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/government-to-introduce-rent-caps-in-dublin-cork.201713/page-4

I would imagine that the RTB will publish a comprehensive summary of the up to date position in short order.

I have a property where I last increased the rent from 01 July 2015 and I intend to increase the rent on the 01 July 2017. It is not in the Cork or Dublin zones so not capped by the 4% rule. I have the property currently let at about 30% below market rate because I was very happy with the Tenants who will be with me 4 years on 01 July 2017 and I was prevented from increasing the rent on 01 July 2016 because the 2 year rule for increases prior to that. I had only intended to raise it by a modest amount at that time.
I now feel that I have no choice but go for the full market rate because of the new legislation and no doubt worse to come down the road. I intend to issue a notice of a Rent review in late March 2017 so as to give the required number of days notice. Am I correct in the timing of my notice.

Given that the geographical scope of the new rules could be broadened to include your property, my view is that you would be mad not to increase the rent to market value.

I agree with the above poster, increase to the full market value while you still can.
On the PRTB website, there is a sample of the notice that you have to send. It's very detailed.

[broken link removed]

Where does it say, if anywhere, that short term lets are outside the scope of rent control ?

Where does it say, if anywhere, that short term lets are outside the scope of rent control ?

Renting is a thing. There is a landlord and a tenant. It is "regulated" by the RTB.

Letting is a different thing. It is what hotels and B&Bs do. There is no landlord and tenant relationship. It is not regulated by the RTB.

Mostly the difference between a rental and a letting is clear, if the person staying in the property is on holidays it's letting, if they are living there it's rental.

Sometimes there may be a grey area. A property owner may wish to portray something as a letting when the person staying may wish to portray it as a rental.

The length of time involved is one of the markers which can distinguish letting from renting.

Renting is a thing. There is a landlord and a tenant. It is "regulated" by the RTB.

Letting is a different thing. It is what hotels and B&Bs do. There is no landlord and tenant relationship. It is not regulated by the RTB.

Mostly the difference between a rental and a letting is clear, if the person staying in the property is on holidays it's letting, if they are living there it's rental.

Sometimes there may be a grey area. A property owner may wish to portray something as a letting when the person staying may wish to portray it as a rental.

The length of time involved is one of the markers which can distinguish letting from renting.

I can't see any rules/guidance on this on RTB - is there any ? I would have thought they would be defining their scope, which would cover things like length of time etc ?

Back