How do ptsb mortgage overpayments work?

scholes100

Hi , I have a mortgage with PTSB and over the last 4 years i have been overpaying. These payments are held in the mortgage account as Prepayment but haven't come off the total mortgage amount. We were told that the interest is only calculated on the total amount we owe minus the prepayments figure so we arent paying any more interest. The question I have is there any point in us filling out a form and getting the bank to take this off the total amount as we arent paying more interest anyway?

Thanks in advance

No!

Let's say that your mortgage balance is €120k with €20k of overpayments.

They are charging you interest on €100k.

If you ever need to take a break from your mortgage repayments, you can do so until you have used up the €20k.

It might seem that you will never need this, but who knows?

There is no cost in having this flexibility.

If you set the repayments against your capital and you run into payment difficulties, you will go into arrears and get a bad credit record.

Brendan

No!

Let's say that your mortgage balance is €120k with €20k of overpayments.

They are charging you interest on €100k.

If you ever need to take a break from your mortgage repayments, you can do so until you have used up the €20k.

It might seem that you will never need this, but who knows?

There is no cost in having this flexibility.

If you set the repayments against your capital and you run into payment difficulties, you will go into arrears and get a bad credit record.

Brendan
Thanks so much Brendan for this , we were worried about it. We are thinking of fixing for 3 years with them to get a better interest rate

ptsb is very expensive.

Why don't you switch to another lender?

If you do decide to stay with them and fix, get it in writing that you can continue overpaying without penalty.

Brendan

We are thinking of fixing for 3 years with them to get a better interest rate
Would you not look at switching to another lender if your circumstances allow?

Even fixing with them works out expensive.

I'd happily take a look at your situation if you'd be happy to share your info as a case study?

I'd happily take a look at your situation if you'd be happy to share your info as a case study?
Thanks Redonion

Thanks Redonion , i'll talk with the other half and let you know. your help is much appreciated

Back