How do I remove this doorbell?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
upload_2018-7-6_7-36-7.png

It only rings intermittently so I presume I need to tighten some connection.

But I can't see how I can prise off the cover.

I have put in a screwdriver around the edge but it doesn't want to move and I don't want to force it.

There is no notch in which to put in the screwdriver in a specific place.

I have tried sliding it up and down.

What am I missing?

Brendan

There's most likely a little tab protruding from the top and bottom of the cover that latch to the wall plate. Try squeezing the cover at the top and bottom, or insert a screwdriver at the top and lever outwards to gently force the cover down and away from the wall plate.

Worst case scenario, if you get a little over zealous, replacements are cheap.

Hi Leo

That is great thanks. The bit about being over zealous motivated me to prise it off and I did so without damage.

But I can't figure out how the mechanism works. Everything seems to be properly connected. I'll need to get someone to look at it.

Brendan

Get some contact spray, or if you have WD-40 it might do the trick as well, and give it a proper smothering. Directly on the contact of course. Only 5quid or so and might work.

Also there is normally a transformer in the fusebox, which may be acting up. it supplies the bell with reduced voltage.

To check if the switch is working, use something to bridge the contacts and see if the bell rings.

IIRC there are three elements to the doorbell.
1. The switch, which just completes the circuit
2. The transformer in the fusebox, which supplies the lower power to the switch and the power to the bell.
3. The bell, which rings when the switch completes the circuit.

A bit of investigation is needed to see which part is faulty.

This may require an electrician if you are not handy.

Or sometimes it's cheaper to buy a wireless one. :)

Unless repairing doorbells is a hobby, get rid of it & buy a wireless one!

It is probably less work getting the existing one fixed instead of looking for a decent wireless one and installing it. Apart from wireless ones running on batteries (even if they last for a a few
I have used the WD 40 and that is not doing the trick. It gurgles now instead of going ding dong.

I think that wireless may be the way to go ok.

Brendan

It gurgles now? Did you submerge the actual bell in WD-40 :confused:;)?
Going wireless and installing yourself is probably cheaper unless you have a handyman who'll have a look at it "for a pint".

"..looking for a decent wireless one and installing "

Argos will do you fine - or if a trip to your nearest store is out of the question, Amazon will deliver. ;)

Edit: 'installing' requires insert battery, plug in receiver. Most time consuming bit is to cycle through all the dreadfull bell noises & find the simple one!

Last edited:
You pry it apart at the seam between the slim piece and the main body. underneath there should be a small cut to allow a small screwdriver head fit

Back