How do i remove a garden pond

meathman

We have recently purchased a house with a garden pond situated quite close to back door of our house. I have decided for peace of mind to get rid of the pond as we have a toddler and another child on the way. Can anyone advise me on
1. Any forums or places that I may find someone interested in the goldfish which still inhabit the pond and water lillies.
2. Any ideas for what I can do with the very large hole it will create.
3. Any considerations I may not have thought about. I presume I can just pump/siphon water off to other areas of garden, remove liner, and crack underlying concrete with a sledge hammer.
All help appreciated

Last edited:
I think you are absolutely right to do this. I witnessed a child almost die from drowning a few years ago and to the day I die myself I will never forget it.

How many goldfish are there? Maybe if you put up a post on boards.ie or similar you will find someone with a garden pond who would be happy to take them.

The 'goldfish' could be quite valuable if they are actually carp - same family.

Hi Meathman.
If you just want to get rid of the things you mention then a website called " Jumbletown " might be of interest. You have to sign up to the site and then you can post up items that you wish to give away. You can also take items that others have to give away so for instance you could get rid of the fish etc and then get free dry filling , topsoil etc to replace the pond. You cannot buy or sell anything on the site as all items are free.
I only discovered the site recently myself and its great for getting rid of those things that you cannot sell and yet are too good to throw away.
w200

2. Any ideas for what I can do with the very large hole it will create.

You can buy loads of topsoil to level it off. Alternatively, you could make a bit of a feature out of it with a sunken seating area.

3...remove liner, and crack underlying concrete with a sledge hammer.

Most likely the hold is just lined with gravel and sand, not concrete. So you'll be able to dig it out.

Don't know how nice the pond is and whether or not you may get joy from it later in life but if it is a nice feature (other than for kids), as an alternative you could make it child-friendly. I've see lot's of this type of thing done also on TV where a grid bolted is place over the pond,. The fish continue to live and breath, kids learn something about fish insects and birds and you can remove it later to restore the feature. If it's big then a secure fence will do the job.
All this assumes the feature is worth keeping as a future asset to the garden and kids when they are older. If you must rid yourself of the pond then giving the fish to a charity or selling to a deal may be an option. As for the structure itself it depends how big it is and whether it is lined and how it's fed with water (stream or filled from your source). If it's lined you will need to remove that or make large holes in it to make sure that and soil you dump in will not simply wallow in a rainwater mudbath. Other than that it's a simple enough process of brawn.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Loads of helpful information and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Back