How do I put share losses against CGT?

bearaman

I have company stock which I sold in March this year, making a small gain. I also have old banking stock which will make a loss when I sell them. I know I can put any losses against the gain, so I should not have any CGT to pay.
If I sell the bank stock now, can I apply this to the gains I made in March?
Thanks,
B.

Yes, you can offset losses against gains - but my understanding is that the losses need to have happened first, or they both need to have happened within the same year or payment period.

For gains made in March, which is within Revenue's 'Initial Period of 1st Jan to 30th November', then you are required to pay the CGT by 15th December.

I think you will need to sell the bank stock before 30th November and file both together, if you wish to offset the loss.

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. I'll sell the bank stock this week.
On a related question, is there any way of knowing what the original purchase price of the bank stock certificate was? I'm sure I have the original documentation but wanted to know if there was some way of tracing it.

Back