How do I maximize my PR vote?

Vote for the person that you want elected first, your second choice second, third choice third and so on...

That doesn't maximise (the effectiveness of) your vote.

For example, if you live in Bertie's constituency, is there any point in giving him a #2 or #3 when you know he'll be elected on the 1st count?

Or am I wrong?

I think there are strategies for ensuring your vote is maximised, though I'm not sure what they are: my brain tends to start melting when considering the more intricate details of the single transferrable vote.

I suppose I was being smart... it depends on what you want to do with your vote.

Any Advise on using PR system?
You only have one vote, but it is transferable. If you vote through the card you will ensure you have a say in who is elected. I vote in reverse order so, as there are 11 candidates in my constituency, I will put 11 beside the candidate I dislike the most and work backwards to my No. 1. If your preference is eliminated then your next preference will come into play; also if your preference is for someone already elected then there's a chance that your vote will be part of their surplus and thus your next preference may come into play.
That doesn't maximise (the effectiveness of) your vote . . I think there are strategies for ensuring your vote is maximised . .
Don't think so. You can try to maximise the longevity of your vote by starting with the least likely candidate and working through to the most likely so your preferences will be counted as each one is eliminated (well it's more complicated than that but that is the gist of it), I suspect that only Muppet's like Count Von Count would adopt that strategy.

Last edited:
I actually think a reverse strategy may work best; Say you are in a 3 seater consituency, pick the 3 candidates you'd like to see elected and the order they would likely be elected in if that were to happen. Then vote 1,2,3 in the reverse order. The no. 3 candidate will need your vote the most, if they shouldn't get elected then your vote will pass on to the no. 2 (they may still need it), and so on. Strategy goes out the window if you guess the likely order wrong !!!

I vote in reverse order so, as there are 11 candidates in my constituency, I will put 11 beside the candidate I dislike the most and work backwards to my No. 1.

Why go all the way down the list? If your #11 is really someone you don't want elected, then in theory your putting them on the list, even as a #11, might just get them over the line.

I tend to stop at the point where it changes from "wouldn't mind seeing him/her elected" to "I'd rather not". I couldn't bring myself to give any preference to someone in the "not on your life" category.....

How are surpluses/eliminated divided? Do they actually count all the next preferences and divide them %wise. Or numberswise? :confused:

Why go all the way down the list? If your #11 is really someone you don't want elected, then in theory your putting them on the list, even as a #11, might just get them over the line.
Not possible. I tell anyone that calls that I vote for everyone, and I do.

Someone said to me it is a good idea to vote all the way down,as this way there is no way your vote could be made invalid by someone placing a "1" against another candidate.

But there are lots of other ways that a vote could be rendered spoiled even if you vote all the way down. I would assume that such vote tampering is extremely rare.

I also tend to vote all the way down the list giving everybody a preference.

But there are lots of other ways that a vote could be rendered spoiled even if you vote all the way down. I would assume that such vote tampering is extremely rare.

I also tend to vote all the way down the list giving everybody a preference.

True enough, but I suppose it is one of the easier ways of spoiling a vote.

I do know pople who will make sure Sinn Fein get the last preference, so this would necessitate votin g all the way down.

I would think voting all the way down increases the chance of a voter error and hence the chance of spoiling your vote? Having said that, I was once a "tallyman" (at local elections), and would say a reasonable minority of people vote all the way down.

I would think voting all the way down increases the chance of a voter error and hence the chance of spoiling your vote?
Perhaps this is the polling equivalent of natural selection and survival of the fittest?

Perhaps this is the polling equivalent of natural selection and survival of the fittest?
Only those who can count to double digits should be given the vote? :)

True enough, but I suppose it is one of the easier ways of spoiling a vote.

I do know pople who will make sure Sinn Fein get the last preference, so this would necessitate votin g all the way down.

That's the bit I don't get: by giving them any preference surely there's a very, very small chance your vote could be used to elect them.

If you don't give them any preference, there's no way your vote can ever be used to elect them.

There was someone on Morning Ireland this morning who covered this, but unfortunately I didn't catch all he said about ensuring your vote wouldn't go to someone. I think, but am not sure, he said to vote all the way down and stop just before the one you definitely don't want. I could have misheard, thoough, or misunderstood what he said.

Can anyone enlighten me?

There's stiff in todays Irish Times as well about tactics that can be used, but it's not detailed anough on this point.

There was a returning officer on TV3 news last night and she said you should not give a preference to a candidate who you do not want elected.

On occasion, the process can reach up to a 10th count and as you said there is a slight chance your minor preferences could then come into play.

That's the bit I don't get: by giving them any preference surely there's a very, very small chance your vote could be used to elect them.

If you don't give them any preference, there's no way your vote can ever be used to elect them.

Not your last preference though (if you vote all the way down). Your ballot paper could eventually end up end up in the pile of your second last preference, but not your last.

That doesn't maximise (the effectiveness of) your vote.

For example, if you live in Bertie's constituency, is there any point in giving him a #2 or #3 when you know he'll be elected on the 1st count?

Or am I wrong?

Parties will try and manage their votes so that their candidates will poll fairly evenly. This generally gives the best chance of maximising the number of seats they get in a constituency. It can backfire though!

Back