How do I guarantee state pension

dariuscork

Hi, was asked a question recently and couldn't answer it, a person takes voluntary redundancy aged 59, has a small occupational pension of €300 per week. In order to guarantee a state pension in the future what does this person have to do, for example do they have to sign on for credits every month at social welfare office?, any help appreciated.

If that person has a full record of working since say 18 to when they took redundancy then they are likely to have sufficient at this stage for a full pension assuming the powers that be change nothing in that regard over the next 6 yrs.

If they wanted to continue to get credits then they need to be actively looking for and available for work, signing for credits must be done within a certain time span of leaving work or drawing benefit.

Alternatively they could make voluntary contributions which would cost them approx €500 per year.

Their local citizens information office could advise them on their potential pension entitlements, might be worth a visit.

I think if OP goes to the local Social Welfare office and explains the situation, they will probably be offered a facility to sign an annual credit which basically means that they are neither working nor seeking any social welfare payments and only interested in maintaining the right to a contributory pension in the future. That is what happened in my case.

They can but to be eligible to sign on annually or monthly or whatever for credits you 'must' be available for and seeking work. If you go in and say you have no notions of working or looking for a job then you can be turned down. On the other hand they are very very unlikely to check if you are looking for work. Not saying you should lie but sure you might work if they right job came up so maybe you are available and looking, just saying!

Back