How do I find the owner of a house so that I can complain about the tenants?

wetday123@

The house next door to me was sold a while ago and has been rented. I'm having some problems with these people and it's ruined what has been a nice place to live. I would like to find out who is the owner of the house so I can complain and try and get these issues sorted. I can't ask the people in the house so I'm looking for advice on how I can find out the name of the registered owner?

To answer your question, you may get the info from the Land registry https://www.prai.ie

However it not the owner that is causing you problems, you need to talk to your neighbours.

You might also be able to find it on the RTB website if the tenancy has been registered. RTB.ie

Thanks for those replies, I don't see it on the the RTB website - it seems to me it should be registered by now! The issues are related to rubbish and some anti-social behavior. I don't really want to go into it any further than that. It seems to me that the owner is responsible for their tenants surely?
They are not really approachable people so that's not an option.
I will try and figure out the owner using the websites suggested.

It seems to me that the owner is responsible for their tenants surely?

Why ? Are they children ? That somebody else is responsible for their behaviour. Is the owner dumping the rubbish?

Would a car hire company be responsible for a renters dangerous driving?

Why ? Are they children ? That somebody else is responsible for their behaviour. Is the owner dumping the rubbish?

Well, the owner of a car is can be fined if they allow an unlicensed driver to drive it.

Not sure how much of these have legal force...

You must also make sure that the tenants meet their obligations. Anyone who is affected by your tenants’ failure to meet their obligations can make a complaint against you to the RTB.

In the tenant obligations it lists:
Keep the property in good order
Avoid causing damage or nuisance

Issues with rubbish should be reported to the council. Anti-social behaviour should be reported to the Gardaí.

Landlords are held responsible for continued anti-social behaviour by their tenants. They are expected to either have their tenants behave suitably, or evict them. The penalties can be quite severe.

A landlord of private rented accommodation owes, to each person that could be affected, a duty to enforce the obligations of the tenant under the tenancy. A third party, such as a neighbour, may be able to refer a dispute to the RTB if they were directly and adversely affected by the breach of duty by a tenant. The RTB have information for third parties who wish to make a complaint

Even the IPOA warn their members about it:

In cases where a landlord fails to enforce a tenant’s responsibilities, a person directly and adversely affected (ie. neighbours) may take a case against the landlord through the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB). Landlords can be ordered to make substantial payments to affected parties for the distress caused by their failure to enforce their tenants’ responsibilities.

Really? That’s ridiculous.
Not a bit of it. Why should neighbours be inconvenienced while landlords just lodge the money and ignore the problems.

This system actually works. My sister took a case and won against the landlord of a property adjoining her then home and won. Compensation paid and tenancy terminated. Not even a hint of trouble afterwards. Hit them where it hurts, they'll learn.

Whatever happened to privacy?
And personal responsibility?
Why embrace the nanny state?

If the property is mortgaged then the landlord may not actually “just lodge the money”, in which case shouldn’t the complainant go the the landlord’s bank?

I lived years ago in an apartment block all owned by the one landlord. We had neighbours upstairs who used to play music as late at midnight. We had a newborn at the time.

We kept asking them to keep it down but no joy. We went to the landlord in writing who threatened to end the tenancy.This shut them up.

Who decides what is anti-social behaviour and what is not?

Do the emergency measures allow for evicting tenants for anti-social behaviour?

Back