How do I find the best time to attend the Anglo trial?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I checked out the courts service and I rang the circuit court number, but got no answer.

I was thinking of going down some morning to have a look.

Where do I go?

What time does it start?

Is there a witness schedule anywhere? For example, if I wanted to go down during Pat Neary's appearance, how would I know when it was due?

Brendan

The trial is on in Court 19 of the Criminal Courts of Justice on Parkgate St. There is bicycle parking outside or the Luas stops at Museum or Hueston Station.

Another court room with tv screens showing the court has been made available to anyone who can't access the main courtroom.

The legal diary on the courts website lists the case but not a witness schedule. As far as I know one is not publically available.

Court sittings are usually between 10:00am and 4:00pm with a break for lunch.

As you're a well known person, maybe if you struck up a conversation with a barrister or solicitor hanging around there, they might give you an idea of when Neary is going to be called. As he's no doubt going to be one of the star performers, all the legal eagles buddies will probably pack the place out that day.

I'd imagine reports on the courts would have an idea of when he will be called, if you know anybody in that area you could ask them.

OK

So taking Dachshund's advice, I went down 15 minutes early for the 10 am start. Doors didn't open until 10.20 but at least I was first in the queue. The start time is actually 10.30

There is seating for around 30ish members of the public and they spill into the journalists' seating area as well.

It opened with a legal argument in the absence of the jury which went on for around an hour or so. The prosecuting counsel had to take instructions so there was a break for 30 minutes.

It resumed at around 12.10 with the witness and the jury present. It was a bit interesting, but not sitting on the edge of your seat stuff.

After about 30 minutes, prosecuting counsel raised a legal point and asked that the jury leave the room. Prosecuting counsel made his point, and then each of the three defence counsel responded in turn. It was actually an interesting legal point, but at 1 pm, I gave up.

It's a pity that it is not televised. I would be happy to watch a lot more of it from home, where I could be working away on something else during the dull bits.

Brendan

Court cases are usually dull affairs, with lots of legal argument that most people don't understand. I think I'll stick to reading the summary in the newspapers.

Court on TV

For anyone that's interested in watching court on TV. The UK Supreme Court is [broken link removed]. It's not that dissimilar to the Irish courts. There's no gavel banging as in American TV series.

For Irish courts anyone can go and watch a trial in a courtroom unless there's a sign on the door that states "In camera" (literal meaning "in chambers"). These apply to rape and sexual assault cases and to most family law cases.

In Dublin criminal trials are held in the Courts of Justice in Parkgate St. Civil and commercial trials are in the Four Courts. There is airport style security i.e. bag scanning at the entrance to the court buildings so don't bring anything that may be confiscated.

The Courts website has a wealth of information about the Irish justice system.

Back