How do I clean timber decking in apartment complex??

zohan

Hi. I’m looking for some advice on how to clean a timber decking in 2nd level apartment. It hasn’t been maintained and is covered in moss and dirt. The problem is there are small gaps between the decks , which rule out power hosing and cleaning with a heavy duty yard brush, as all the dirt and grime would end up falling on the neighbours below.

Is there a spray or some other equipment that could be used? (I was thinking some thing like an garden hover which would prevent the dirt falling)
The decking in tongue & grove which has made the build up of dirt and moss worse. The balcony is approximately 200 sq ft. My girlfriend has already tried to sweep it with a small brush and pan which has proved tedious and not very effective.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Also looking for some maintenance tips to prevent this happing again.
Or should I employ a professional?

You could try a drill with a wire brush attachment, that would surely lift it and get in between the grooves. once cleaned give it a coat of Ronseal decking oil. "Do not use varnish"

Thanks Pat. I'm going to look into it. Unfortuntially I dont think there is any way to stop all the dirt and moss falling onto the balcony below.

You can hire a leaf blower/vacuum for about €30 a day. Maybe you could do this while it is raining, unlikely to be anyone sitting below and the rain may wash away the worst of anything that does fall through.
Leo

leave the neighbours below a note that you would like to clean your decking but do not want to leave theirs in a mess. Wait until it is dry (2011 !!) and brush it with a wire brush. This means that only dry dirt will fall on the balcony below and can be easily swept up by you or the neighbours.

Cheers lads. That thought had crossed my mind - I think is the only option! I'm sure the inconvience of me knocking on their door and covering their balcony, is better than them looking out and seeing their balcony and furniture covered in dirt and moss.
Hey we might get to know our neighbours in the precess ;)

HI zohan,
go to your local hardware store,you can get deck cleaning product,if your deck is very bad you can use neat or reduce it,as much as 4 /1 with water.brush it on,dont let it dry out,(check label)leave for 10 mins,now they recommend power wash off,with your circumstances,get a bucket of water and some rags,with rubber gloves,get on your knees and rinse off and mop up,jobs oxo.
you then have to leave for a few days to dry out,then as has been said use decking oil,it will look brand new,i've just done mine,brilliant.
good luck yob.

Back