How do I check the day to day value of my pension?

SlugBreath

A family member is thinking of cashing in their pension policy. They are aged over 50 and the value of the fund is less than €10k. They have been made redundant.
They contacted their pension administrator who has told them that they need to complete a form saying that they want to cash it in and post it to them.
However they are not prepared to tell my family member the value of the pension on the day they want it cashed.
Apparently the pension administrator will give the instruction to the fund manager to cash in the pension on a specific day but will not phone the family member on the day to let her know the value of the fund.
Is there some way of finding out the value of the pension on the day of encashment before making the decision?

Usually the value of a fund when cashed in is the value at close of business on the day the instruction is received. So you won't know exactly what the value is until the day after you've put in the instruction. However, unless there is a major crash, the movements of pension funds from one day to the next tend not to be huge.

If you ring the administrator of a morning, they should be able to get you yesterday's value.

Usually the value of a fund when cashed in is the value at close of business on the day the instruction is received. So you won't know exactly what the value is until the day after you've put in the instruction. However, unless there is a major crash, the movements of pension funds from one day to the next tend not to be huge.

If you ring the administrator of a morning, they should be able to get you yesterday's value.

I guess that anybody who was encashing their pension on the Sept 11th. 2001 were in a panic if their expectations were based on the previous days valuation. It's strange how you can price a share price seconds before you buy or sell it but there seems to be no system available to price the units of your pension.

SlurrySlump,
If your Pension consisted of a single share, then no problem. However Pension unit funds will typically consist of thousands of shares (in different time zones), Gov't Bonds, perhaps some property and other assets. So to have a real-time unit price is impossible.
Generally the unit fund manager will value at the end of each day and that becomes the trading price for the next day. It is as close to real-time as you can get.

Back