How did TV licence inspector get my name .

My daughter and her friend spent 10 minutes hiding behind the couch while the inspector was banging on the window. They had no time to turn off the telly so the having no telly excuse would not work . They also had a sky dish right next to the front door.

The postman is the link here. They are given a few bob extra to supply these details to the licence people.

Of course they are :) And they ask dogs if they have licences too and report back if they're black and white or colour!

Dont think it was the postman, in the last three years weve only gotten dear occupier on the notices

We arent registered there for the electoral register.

I found out how my name was got . As i said the house next door to me is empty i changed my bin provider and put the old bins in to the house next door to await collection .
When the inspector came he got no answer and took my name from the wheelie bin . So no big conspiracy on the poor postmans side all he did was put the letter in to my address not next door.

If I were you iwodnt like the sound of that, inspector sneaking around taking names off bins, I'm pretty sure that contravenes the Data Protection Act in that info must be obtained in a correct manner, I would make that point to the inspector. Next they'll be looking IN bins to find a letter with someone's name on it - not right at all.

I found out how my name was got . As i said the house next door to me is empty i changed my bin provider and put the old bins in to the house next door to await collection .
When the inspector came he got no answer and took my name from the wheelie bin . So no big conspiracy on the poor postmans side all he did was put the letter in to my address not next door.

How did you find that out? I cant imagine them admitting to that!

Hi truthseeker no i had no more contact with them,my husband pointed out to me that my name is on the wheelie next door. I am presuming thats how they got my name seems the most logical. I have not seen the inspector since. I am twitching the curtains waiting to pounce on him with my flashlight to extract the info from him

Last edited:
hello, I had a t.v licence inspector who called to my house roughly a month ago. He asked for my name which I did not give, he requested to enter the house to which I declined permission. After his attempts of friendly negotiating failed, he stated with the threats, telling me that because I had a arial attached to the house I needed a licence. He told me that he would get my name from the voters register (I don't vote).

I do have a television but I do not have ANY digibox, all I have is my laptop + broadband, a dvd player and a radio.

Today a letter arrived from an post t.v licence services. The second name on the letter is spelled incorrectly and missing a character. I have not opened the letter. I do not agree with the t.v licence, especially since I don't watch live television. I feel like I am being bullied into buying something that I do not need/want.

what advice would anyone have as to what to do next. When the inspector comes back with a warrant, the name on the warrant will most likely be incorrect, can the warrant still be executed? Under law I have not committed a crime and if I do not consent or enter into contract with the inspector/garda what will most likely happen when I am called to court, when the documentation presented is not correct. what counter measures can I take? should I return the unopened letter to an post, with a note '' not known at this adress''.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do have a television but I do not have ANY digibox, all I have is my laptop + broadband, a dvd player and a radio.

So you do possess covered apparatus as details in the TV licence legislation, so you are legally obliged to buy a TV licence.

yes, but the television is not mine, it is the landords, If I have him remove the television am I in the all clear?

You have the ability to receive and watch a TV programmes. You should pay your way.

+1 Currently if you have a TV (even broken) on your premises you are obliged to pay. You also state "especially since I don't watch live television" does this mean that you watch streamed on demand shows? If so you are nit picking again; you have a device capable of receipt of TV signals. I know that currently there is probably a loophole in this area but as you already have a TV on your premises you have been liable up to now. The loophole will be replaced soon as so many new ways of watching are now available.

yes, but the television is not mine, it is the landords, If I have him remove the television am I in the all clear?

As the others have pointed out, you still need to pay. The legislation covers rented accommodation, and says the tenant must pay, even where the landlord owns the equipment.

I would have thought they work on the assumption that all homes have a TV.

But I do remember those adverts from the 70's that featured the detector vans. I have always liked the idea a crack team of TV licence agents in their radar vans prowling the neighbourhood in the search for the "evil" evaders. It gave me an Orwellian warmth.
............................................................................................

It was back in 70,s more hi-tech than that.
Some of the then P&T lads would blacken out a couple of windows in the van. Then stick on a Rabbits Ears Antenna on the top of the van.

They would then sweep (i like that word) a couple of the estates in a furtively slow manner.

Sure nuff , new licenses appeared within the week.

And all this happened before 1984 !!!

God Knows there are probably DRONES doing it now !!!

Be afraid , be very afraid !!!

Back