How can I get lettuce to last longer in the fridge

Hi shootingstar, I do something similar to the link iscritto posted - just cover my washed lettuce with a wet but not dripping piece of kitchen roll. Keeps the lettuce moist and it defo lasts longer, you could also line the bottom of the container if you have a large amount
G*

you may laugh but my mom and quiet a few more swear by a washed small piece of coal in with the lettuce. in a bowl in the fridge..

Ladies?? Can men not offer an opinion! For any veg with some root (lettuce/cabbage etc) place the root into water. This will also work with brocolli. Just thinly cut off root to live part of the plant, and it will absorb water, keeping it alive longer and avoid wilting.

hi just want to second horusd's idea. I do it all the time and it works a treat. Root in water, sit in fridge, perfect

Put lettuce into sealed bag with a little water and it will last days. I do this all the time.

Grow your own!

We've been amazed by how much longer the lettuce from our garden lasts in comparison to the shop bought stuff.

wash the lettuce well with cold water and throw straight into a ziploc or similar freezer bag. Seal and keep it sealed after every use. It will last for ages!!

On another note, ive always found my homegrown lettuce doesnt last as long as shop bought, i presumed it was because it wasnt sprayed or treated with anything?

hi just want to second horusd's idea. I do it all the time and it works a treat. Root in water, sit in fridge, perfect
I heard Dermot O'Neill given this tip on the radio about a year ago but he didn't say to keep in the fridge. I quarter fill a 2 lb pudding bowl with water and pop the head of lettuce into it and it will keep for a week or more in a cool place.

Back