how can i find out where a draught is coming from?

marian

we installed a PVC patio door in our porch about two years ago. Thought this would be a great idea to keep house warm and more secure than a wooden hall door.
Problem now is that this seems to have created a vacuum between the new door and the hall door and there's a terrible draught coming in the hall door. We're facing north and the thoughts of this at winter is more than I can bear. I can't find any draughts coming in the new door and there are no other openings. i don't think the draught was as bad before the new door went in.
None of this is helped by the fact that we installed wooden flooring in the hall and sitting room and had to remove the door saddles.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Maybe the draught is coming from the cooler air in the porch area into your hall? The same happens in my house when the heat in the hall is lower than that in the sitting room and there is a draught coming below the door into the sitting room from the hall.

Maybe new and smaller saddles would help? DIY stores have ready made ones that can be applied.

This may not work in this situation (you could give it a try) - my Father went around all the doors / windows / attic with a candel and sealed up any draughts he found, the difference in the house was actually unbelievable and heating costs reduced.

You would be very surprised how much heat is lost through these llittle unoticable draughts.

a candel and sealed up any draughts he found, the difference in the house was actually unbelievable and heating costs reduced.

You would be very surprised how much heat is lost through these llittle unoticable draughts.

+1 candle or incense stick held close to the frame of a door or window will indicate draughts.

Temperature inversion will also cause a draught. As warm air escapes through your roof / chimney cold air is sucked into the void. If you have blocked your room vents (you shouldnt block any vent) draughts become very noticable at doors and windows.

Front doors are often badly fitted. Do a smoke test (or use a candle) to find the exact spot where the draught is coming in, & then seal...

thanks for the advice. getting draught excluder for hall door and sitting room and hope that makes a difference.

You could try fitting a heavy curtain at hall door. Might not be to your taste but will most likely make a big difference to draughts.

we installed a PVC patio door in our porch about two years ago. Thought this would be a great idea to keep house warm and more secure than a wooden hall door.
Problem now is that this seems to have created a vacuum between the new door and the hall door and there's a terrible draught coming in the hall door. We're facing north and the thoughts of this at winter is more than I can bear. I can't find any draughts coming in the new door and there are no other openings. i don't think the draught was as bad before the new door went in.
None of this is helped by the fact that we installed wooden flooring in the hall and sitting room and had to remove the door saddles.
Any ideas?
Just a hint that worked for me. I cut some strips of old carpet applied glue (Tek 7) & pressed them to the underside of all doors. Each strip is slightly narrower than the door & does not show but it did cut down the druaghts as I have all hardwood/ tiled floors. Cheap but works.

Just a hint that worked for me. I cut some strips of old carpet applied glue (Tek 7) & pressed them to the underside of all doors. Each strip is slightly narrower than the door & does not show but it did cut down the druaghts as I have all hardwood/ tiled floors. Cheap but works.
Hopefully the original poster hasn't been sitting in the draught for the last 13+ years waiting for that suggestion... o_O

Any ideas?
Do you have an open fire

Back