How can I determine if a property in Spain has been sold and the date of sale?

PMU

How can I determine if a property in Spain has been sold and the date of sale?

I’m the executor of my late aunt’s will. The will refers to a Spanish will (testamento abierto). This Spanish will bequeaths a property in Spain if the property has not already been sold prior to her death by the testatrix. It’s my understanding that the Spanish property was sold – a long time ago - but I can’t locate any documentation relating to the sale.

In Spain is there something like the Land Registry that I can contact to determine who is the current owner of the property? And will they tell me?

Hi PMU,

Have you any documentation which solicitor or gestator your aunt used in spain? There is a central registar in Madrid for wills. Your aunt might have made a will in Spain also as this is quite common once you own a property there - if you could get hold of a copy of this - it might have an address of the property on it. I don't know of the address for the Land Registry - but there is a spanish forum called www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/forums if you post your question there - you might get some help. Do you have any idea at all what part of spain your aunt owned the property in? Normally when a property is sold there is a 3% retention tax withheld this is to cover any taxes that have not been paid or capital gain. If taxes are up to date and there is not a capital gain - this money is refunded to the spanish bank account of the property owner - it can take anything up to one year and more for this to be refunded if there is a refund to be made - worth checking this out.

Hope that is of some help.

Angela59

Back