Key Post How can I cut the cost of my regular prescription?

Ex-factory prices set by Govt and suppliers, with reference to a basket of other countries.

Then a wholesale mark-up of 10% is added. That used to be 17.65% and the 3 wholesalers would give half of it as a discount to pharmacies.

The "reimbursement cost" of ex-factory +10% is what the HSE pay the pharmacy, under both the DPS and the GMS schemes.

Then the pharmacy adds a retail mark-up of:

0% - GMS scheme
20% - DPS (was 50%)

The recent RTE consumer show was about pharmacies sticking to the old 50% retail mark-up.

Pharmacies must stick to 20% mark-up on DPS, however, on private prescriptions they can charge whatever mark-up they like as these transactions fall outside of the contract between the HSE and the pharmacy.

On the topic of wholesale mark-up, the wholesalers are under no obligation to reduce their mark-up (from 17.65 to 10%) since the HSE have no dealings with them, so pharmacists are being reimbursed a cost price less than what they actually pay the wholesaler in some cases.

A number of threads on this forum have already discussed the matter extensively.

Can I ask what is meant by "private prescriptions"?

Surely all the pop are in either the GMS or the DPS schemes?

Private prescriptions are those which do not fall under the remit of any of the community drug scheme (DPS, GMS, LTI etc.) i.e. the State is not paying.

All non-GMS people are eligible for the DPS, is that correct?

So nobody should pay more than 100/120 (can't remember) per month?

So I am confused by the term "private prescriptions"?

Do you mean, say, a bill of 75 pm?

So you pay the full 75 yourself, and the pharmacy may have applied a 50% retail mark-up?

The DPS threshold is currently 120 euro per month (as calculated by the State's system). If the State is not paying for a prescription, then it is being paid for by the patient - this is a private transaction between the patient and the pharmacy, no public/state involvement, hence private prescription.

Below the DPS threshold, like anything else in a business, a pharmacy can decide what price that it charges. So yes, paying 75 euro, that may include a 50% mark-up. Or it may instead include a 20%, 30%, 40%, 60% or whatever mark-up. This is for each pharmacy to decide for themselves.

Fizzelina - How many months prescriptions would they give you in spain? sLIM

The DPS threshold is currently 120 euro per month (as calculated by the State's system). If the State is not paying for a prescription, then it is being paid for by the patient - this is a private transaction between the patient and the pharmacy, no public/state involvement, hence private prescription.

Below the DPS threshold, like anything else in a business, a pharmacy can decide what price that it charges. So yes, paying 75 euro, that may include a 50% mark-up. Or it may instead include a 20%, 30%, 40%, 60% or whatever mark-up. This is for each pharmacy to decide for themselves.

But the amount the gov will pay over the 120 pm depends on the agreed price for the drug. There are 2 agreed prices, one for GMS scheme and the other for DPS. It's price fixing and no mistake about it.
I buy my prescriptions in Northern Ireland at half the cost. Slim

But the amount the gov will pay over the 120 pm depends on the agreed price for the drug. There are 2 agreed prices, one for GMS scheme and the other for DPS. It's price fixing and no mistake about it.
I buy my prescriptions in Northern Ireland at half the cost. Slim

I'm not sure you're clear on this. Under the DPS, once a household's medicine for the month reach 120 euro by the state's calculation, they will pay the rest of the cost according to their system (cost price, minus 7%, plus 20%, plus dispensing fee of 3.50 up). The DPS does not affect transactions that do not reach 120 euro per month according to the state's calculation.

This is separate to the GMS scheme where patients do not pay anything and the state pays the cost price, minus 7%, plus dispensing fee of 3.50 up.

Fizzelina - How many months prescriptions would they give you in spain? sLIM

I am just back from Italy. I am on cholesterol lowering tablets that cost me €18 per month on a 6 month prescription here in Ireland. Each time I purchase a supply of tablets the purchase is stamped on the back of the prescription.

I brought my prescription to Italy. I purchased a 40 day supply for €4.60. They didn't need my prescription apparently and never stamped the back.

I thought that this was great and went to a different pharmacy and purchased a 60 day supply for €7.

I now have a 3 month supply of tablets for c€12 that would have cost me €54 here in Ireland.

It is certainly worthwhile bringing your prescription with you on holidays as Fizzelina said earlier the savings can cover the cost of the flight.

prescription charges

Not sure if this is on the correct thread but can anyone tell me if the pharmacist is supposed to list the price of each individual medicine on the receipt? I get 4-5 different medications every month on a repeat prescription and the receipt only ever says: Total E120. So there is no way I could shop around / compare prices since I dont know what the prices are!!

I always discuss the price of my prescription with the chemist before purchase. I also ask if there is a cheaper generic version available etc. I have even played one pharmacy off against the other on price.

I cannot understand why you don't simply ask?

Not sure if this is on the correct thread but can anyone tell me if the pharmacist is supposed to list the price of each individual medicine on the receipt? I get 4-5 different medications every month on a repeat prescription and the receipt only ever says: Total E120. So there is no way I could shop around / compare prices since I dont know what the prices are!!

You should be getting a blue printed receipt in the bag with your medicines which gives a breakdown of the prices per item. It's worth keeping in mind though that if you're paying €120 for your medicines per month, it's likely that the actual cost is higher but as part of the Drugs Payment Scheme, the state pays any cost over 120, so you could potentially have to find quite a reduction in the price in order for you to be paying less than 120.

I always discuss the price of my prescription with the chemist before purchase. I also ask if there is a cheaper generic version available etc.

Currently if a particular brand of medicine is prescribed, the pharmacist has to dispense this brand. It's only if a medicine is prescribed generically (i.e. with the drug name) that a choice of brands/generics can be dispensed. This will hopefully be changed in the coming months to allow pharmacists to substitute generics.

I recently needed to replace my anapen/epipen and went to the chemist here to find out what was necessary to do this. Apparently I would need to get a perscription from my gp and then pay €75.00 at the chemist. Total cost - at least €95.

Last week I was in Lisbon for work and walked into a chemist and bought one without a perscription for €46.00.

I always discuss the price of my prescription with the chemist before purchase. I also ask if there is a cheaper generic version available etc. I have even played one pharmacy off against the other on price.

I cannot understand why you don't simply ask?

Isle of Man, Yes I will be asking for sure next time I need my prescription filled... And I will be shopping around.

pen2, its the blue receipt I'm talking about, the one you get from every chemist - I always assumed there was a breakdown of charges - which added up to more than E120 - but on checking, I see no prices for each item and I'm wondering if this is legit? It makes it impossible to compare prices. So I'll be doing lots of questioning from now on!

I have recently discovered that I have been paying my subscription monthly €120, the cut off point for HSE refund scheme, for 13 times each year. My chemist have been dispensing 28 tabs. for a monthly prescription.
My doctor drew my attention to this when I was going on holidays and asked her to make the prescrition for 30 days. My doctor makes the pres. out for 1/12 which I now understand means 30 tabs. I have been getting 28 and end up getting an extra supply each year. ie 28 x 13.
It should be brought to the chemists attention if you are getting monthly prescriptions. If you are getting 28 tabs per month you are entitled to an extra months free, you should pay €120 for 12 months only.
Browtal

Very interesting Browtal. I wonder how many pharmacies are doing this. My father has a medical card but gets 28 days tablets. Is there another charge to the state there I wonder?

Incidentally, when in the Canaries does it work out cheaper to get your prescription filled or is it better to avail of the €120 monthly scheme in Ireland.

Anyone like to update this thread?

If so, copy and paste the first post into a new post and edit it as you see fit.

Brendan

Back