How can I cure smelly towels?

PetrolHead

I wash them at 90 degrees and tumble dry them (a huge use of energy, I know) and then store them in a ventillated cupboard (not an airing cupboard, granted). After use they are hung over the shower cubicle frame/stair bannister/towel rail/radiator... and still they end up smelling musty and mouldy after a couple of days...

Why?

Are they lying in the washing machine a long time before they are dried or maybe sitting in a washing basket too long between being washed and tumble dried? Did you try changing your washing conditioner?

Perhaps they are not drying out properly after use. Have you got a towel radiator or hanging wires for the radiators instead of bannisters. I know it's horrible having things on radiators but if you could spread them round for a while after use - just try to dry them out properly. Best thing also if possible would be to hang them out in the fresh air whenever you get the chance.

Is the house ventilated during the day, Monday to Friday? Perhaps no flow of air causing damp smell.

BTW 90 seems excessive.

Try using half a cup of white vinegar instead of fabric conditioner in your wash. Also, there's no need to wash towels at 90 degrees when vinegar is used. 40 is fine.

sounds like they are not drying out between uses, are they hung up straight away? I give towels a quick 30c wash and they don't smell.

Tumble dry them for longer, and make sure the filter on the tumble drier is clean or things don't get dry properly!

Also, you should not use fabric conditioner when washing your towels.. This 'coats' them and strips them of their absorbancy properties...
Just use washing powder. This could also be your problem..

Also, 40Deg wash is plenty for towels....

J.

Have you tried drying them on a clothesline?
With these winds you'll have a towel almost dry in two hours, and as fresh as you'll ever get them.

To get towels, bed-linen, jeans, etc. smelling really nice and fresh, try this;

1) Wash out washing machine (40 degree wash, cup of vinegar, no detergent)

2) Normal 30 / 40 deg wash (with correct colour and fabric mix, no conditioner)

3) Hang washing out immediately

4) Let it rain on the washing (should not be a problem to get the timing of this right ;))

5) Dry normally (good old line or clothes horse)

Laundry will be fresher, softer and will last longer and so will your washing machine.

From reading your post, it seems like you are putting them straight into the press from the tumble dryer, you would be much better off drying on a clothes horse, maybe with the windows open if possible, if you don't have a clothes line. Lidl have a laundry special next Thursday with different types available.
And like previous posters said there is no need to be washing at 90 degrees. Your electricity bills will feel the better of it too:)

Last edited:
From reading your post, it seems like you are putting them straight into the press from the tumble dryer, you would be much better off drying on a clothes horse, maybe with the windows open if possible, if you don't have a clothes line. Lidl have a laundry special next Thursday with different types available.
And like previous posters said there is no need to be washing at 90 degrees. Your electricity bills will feel the better of it too:)

I put towels straight into the hot press from the tumble dryer and there's no smell from them. IMHO the whole idea of using the dryer is so that you won't have to dry them on a clothes horse/line.

You may get some advice on the [broken link removed].

Washing at 90o would make them very hard and the conditioner won't counteract that.

Back