How are we doing and should we extend or move?

Neither of us have any ties to where we currently live.
So why would you even consider keeping the house for retirement ??? This seems absolutely daft to me !

Anyone any thoughts on staying and extending house. we are 30 miles from Dublin but were looking to half that. We would not be in Dublin itself. We have more friends and supports where we would intend moving to - North Kildare.
Depends on a number of things - whats wrong with the house you are in? Can the site support an extension? What are you looking for in the area you are living? What about schools etc? What are the neighbours like? What would you be moving to and how do they compare? Would you have to move out during a renovation and how big an issue is that?

I saw the tail end of a channel 4 programme called "love it or list it". Might be worth looking at some of those to see what people decided and why? Moving is a much bigger decision than simply bricks and mortar !

Always a case of hills being green far away ....

OP - get your OH to check details if his pension, and particularly if there is a death in service benefit before you work out how much life assurance cover you need.

I've very little to add re move decision that hasn't already been said, except for 1 thing. I've never seen an extension done for 50k. It's possible, but usually once you start there's other work to be done, or you go for a higher quality than the builder had in mind. Have a realistic cost for extension if you are weighing up alternatives.

I've never seen an extension done for 50k.
probably an attic conversion with maybe some new windows for that price.

I agree, a structural extension for 50k would be unlikely.

@OP - this has brought something into my head. The house you need for younger kids (say up to starting secondary school) is very different to the house you need for teens and those going to college. Are you sure you need to do an extension now, or is it a case of needing to do an extension in 5-6 years time.
We are planning some sort of extension/renovation in 5-6 years time. At the moment, while space could be considered tight for some, the girls only make an absolute mess of whatever room they get into. Minimising space is probably a good thing right now :)

No it's not an attic conversion as our house isn't suitable. Have had a no of quotes and I have gone out to price everything we need floors/lighting/doors etc. Using existing kitchen for now until kids older. It's a very straight forward one storey extension. We have done the research. We Are in 3 bed need 4 bed.

Looking at your OP... doing the extension seems to be a no brainer.

50k would make more sense financially. Look at what you'd be spending just to move 15 miles up the road.

Gnf_ireland some great points.
Paddy bloggit I think you hit nail on head.
Thanks again for all the feedback.
We are going to look into life assurance and avcs too.

Back