How about a forum for Planning for (early?) retirement?

Would it justify a separate forum? I don't think it would have enough threads.

I will have a look.

It might overlap too much with pensions which causes confusion.

Brendan

1. I don't think there is a demand or reason for a dedicated subject like retirement.
2. Although the only professional financial advisor I know personal keeps saying "the retired are the new rich."

I don't think there is a demand or reason for a dedicated subject like retirement.

My thoughts were more of a how to approach/adapt to retirement.

As a singleton, having experienced lockdown, I think retirement when I take it, will not be the most positive experience for me.

I'm good at my job, thrive on it but management deficiencies are making it difficult... hard to keep focussed on a job when management have to be encouraged to do theirs!

I'm planning to retire in 5/6 years time.... to do what... I don't know.

That's what I'd be hoping to get from a dedicated forum... what to do next?

As a singleton, approaching retirement is quite daunting. I ain't got no one to discuss it with. I'll just retire and see what happens.

Advice, knowledge, pitfalls, etc. from those who have experienced it would be great.

I've read your posts Leper and they do help. It would be nice to hear from somebody who went it alone too.

Good thread on the subject here...

I'm in two minds about this suggestion
On one hand I feel that any discussion on retirement here usually ends after a couple of pages mainly because I believe people are more focused on their pre- retirement situation ie. paying down debt, pension growth, work issues etc etc
While on the other hand there's a lot more to retirement then just hanging up the work clothes and sailing off into the sunset
and as PaddyBloggit suggests a discussion on how to approach/adapt to retirement might prove interesting and useful
I myself am a early retiree, I'm 53 and am in my 9th year of retirement, I hadn't planned to retire that early but in a moment of madness I made the leap and have to say overall it was and is the second best decision that I've made thus far.
Financially I don't have any real problems at the moment and everything is going as planned or expected at this stage
But mentally and physically has been a different story altogether and has been a huge learning curve for me in how I live and view my life and the outside world compared to pre-retirement

But mentally and physically has been a different story altogether and has been a huge learning curve for me in how I live and view my life and the outside world compared to pre-retirement

That's what I'm talking about.

Yes, the financial side is important, but how to manage retirement mentally, physically, time wise etc. is equally important.

If we were to set up a separate forum, here are the threads we would move into it from the first 6 months of this year.

From a Google search - to give another few possible threads.

Most of those are actually pensions type or Money Makeover type questions.

So there are just not enough threads to warrant a separate forum.

The more forums we have, the harder it is to find stuff.

The only advantage I can see of a separate forum is that it might promote discussion of it.

But I am sure that it would take up a lot of moderation. Because people would see "retirement" in the forum name and then start asking about their pension.

Brendan

Would it justify a separate forum? I don't think it would have enough threads.

I will have a look.

It might overlap too much with pensions which causes confusion.

Brendan

Inclined to agree with above and if it did go ahead there would have to be two totally separate sections, one for the money side of things and the other for how lifestyle can be affected.

if it did go ahead there would have to be two totally separate sections, one for the money side of things and the other for how lifestyle can be affected.

Would that be a big issue? Surely they could be slotted in somewhere?

Our whole working lives lead up to retirement... a big step both financially and otherwise.

I think it's worth trying it out to see what happens.

Would that be a big issue? Surely they could be slotted in somewhere?

Our whole working lives lead up to retirement... a big step both financially and otherwise.

I think it's worth trying it out to see what happens.

That's why I feel that the two should be given the separate attention that they need and not combined. Perhaps sub-forums, one called 'Financial Aspects of Retirement' and the other 'Lifestyle Aspects of Retirement'.

Only time would tell if there is enough interest.

Surely they could be slotted in somewhere?

Hi Paddy

Here are the criteria we use when reviewing whether to set up a new forum.

Brendan

As a general principle, the fewer the forums the better because

1. It's easier to see them on one page forum listing
  2. It's easier for a poster to decide where to post
  3. Easier to moderate
  4. If it's a vague topic, it's easier to find if there are fewer forums

Reasons for creating a new forum

1. The subject matter is distinctive e.g. Public Sector Pensions
  2. The subject matter is only of interest to those affected by it e.g. Public Sector Pensions.
  3. An existing forum is just too busy e.g. Homes and Gardens has been split a few times.
  4. There is very little crossover with any other forum e.g. Overseas Property Investment
  5. The topic is busy enough to justify a forum of its own: Location, Location, Location
  6. A new forum would attract more visitors because it fills a need not catered for elsewhere e.g. Askaboutbusiness.
  7. Related issues are being discussed in a variety of other forums e.g Redundancy and unemployment
  8. A new forum on a topical issue such as SSIAs makes Askaboutmoney appear up to date and relevant.
  9. A discussion type forum can remove opinion and argument from the more questions and answers forums. Dealing with the Deficit probably removes debate from other forums. But then again it could be argued that it should be left in The Great Financial Debates.
Is an existing forum still relevant e.g. SSIAs or Budget 2009
We should do a cull of forums from time to time.

Bear in mind that the system is very flexible and no decision is written in stone. We can create a new forum "Askaboutbusiness" and if it does not work, we can merge it again.

That's why I feel that the two should be given the separate attention that they need and not combined. Perhaps sub-forums, one called 'Financial Aspects of Retirement' and the other 'Lifestyle Aspects of Retirement'.

Only time would tell if there is enough interest.

A lot of people struggle with the transition to retirement, but I wonder how many of those thought there might be more to it than just not going to work any more? Enough to research it?

Perhaps Pensions could be expanded to Pensions & Retirement, with the retirement & lifestyle aspects in a sub-forum? Given the nature of AAM, many people find themselves here for the first time researching financial matters, some of us then forget to move on :D .

Back