Housing for All : Where are we going to get 27,500 extra construction workers?

And Daddy doesn't have the same photo?
Possibly.
In any event, I wouldn't encourage anyone into trades, for the very reasons cited here.
What, that it’s reasonably well paid but hard work? What we need are better paths to continuous learning and generally better trade schools. That would encourage more people in.
It’s still better than an academic degree and a ‘career’ in retail.
Reform the work practices, improve the culture, benefits etc., then it might be a better long term career.
I think the very male dominated culture is a problem but that’s an issue with any area dominated by one gender.

Or we could make the industry more welcoming to the other 51% of the population?
And what do the 51% do once all the houses are built?. Yes, we may need plumbers and electiricians but would it not be better to import the block layers etc as we probably only need them for a defined period of time. I know that sounds quite cold but that is the nature of the building industry.

And what do the 51% do once all the houses are built?. Yes, we may need plumbers and electiricians but would it not be better to import the block layers etc as we probably only need them for a defined period of time. I know that sounds quite cold but that is the nature of the building industry.
No, we'll need more for decades to come and there isn't a ready supply of them to import.

Back