housing agency block purchase of empty houses in our estate

maggieO

Hi - possibly not the right forum for this but cannot post on some of the more relevant forums. I live in an estate of 144 houses - it was left unfinished when the crash happened with 40 houses outstanding to be built. These have started construction and we have been informed they are to be sold to a housing agency. Many people are have valid concerns about this in terms of effect on house prices and possible future social problems. We are not against social housing but would be happier if it was delivered in an integrated manner. Our council are not engaging with us in any meaningful way. Has anyone come across this situation before? We are personally looking at selling but its not too easy at present with lack of supply in our area, we would also be taking on a larger mortgage for a longer term.

Will the 40 houses be in a designated area of the development? I read elsewhere that it may be beneficial if a housing agency takes over the management of social housing. They have a thorough vetting process and antisocial behaviour is not tolerated.

Yes they are in one particular area, their website does state everyone is garda vetted etc.. and the agency seem willing to meet with us which is positive. Their other developments seem well run so hopefully they are true to their word but it remains to be seen.

I rather a housing agency managing the development rather that the council. And it's very positive that they are willing to meet with the residents. You can outline all your concerns beforehand.

Back