Household claim worthwhile for an exploding cooker door?

This happened to me also. A small item fell from above and caught in the door handle and glass exploded of main oven door. It was Zanussi also as the only model to fit a 55cm opening. It was not that old and the previous one had a cracked hob. In both cases it made more sense to replace with new rather than repair.

Unless I've missed something, there is literally no specific legislative reference in that link?

They do say the following in that article so why not write to them at [email protected] and ask them for the specific legislative reference:
  • Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items (both new and second-hand).

@Sue Ellen quoted:
  • Under Irish law, consumers have up to six years to seek redress for faulty or defective items (both new and second-hand).
That is very different to saying that products have a "consumer warranty" for 6 years. It all depends on the product and its reasonably expected use, performance and lifespan. I certainly don't expect my underpants to last 6 years!

Indeed, but you would certainly expect a domestic cooker to operate safely for 6 years; and the OPs has not.

I agree but as it is out of warranty there is little to no chance of getting a replacement or refund. There is a good argument for free glass replacement but no guarantee of it. The onus is on the customer to argue (or establish) that it was due to a defect in the product at the time of purchase or installation (if the retailer installed it). There is no "6 year consumer warranty" but a case could be taken to the small claims court if the OP is so inclined.

Here is an extract from a "Which" article:

"What to do if your oven door explodes

Free glass replacement under warranty isn't usually a problem. But warranties usually last only one or two years, when your oven is likely to last 10 or more.

You could be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement from the retailer, but if your oven is more than six months old, the onus will probably be on you to prove a fault was present at the time of purchase.

If the worst happens, here are some steps you can take to get the best results:

• Take photos of the damage before clearing up. If you can, save the glass too.
  • Use our faulty goods tool to generate a letter to send to the retailer.
  • Stand your ground. Exploding oven doors are rare, and it's hard to prove the cause, so persistence can pay off."

Electrolux have one interesting tip to avoid the shattered glass problem:

• Avoid knocks on the door, especially on the sides of the pains when removing to clean.
https://www.electrolux.ie/support/support-articles/cooking/ovens/oven-glass-shattered/

I think this thread and numerous other ones I've seen on AAM over the years point to the confusion that can arise regarding consumer rights and what consumers think their rights are.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the legislation in this area was updated and consolidated last year, but I would suggest its still not clear for the average punter - thanks in large part to our common law system (INAL but have had some limited experience in this area).

The new Consumer Rights Act 2022 in Section 17 and 18 lays out requirements for what state the goods should be in and refers to their durability, reference is also made to spare parts and after sales service for a reasonable period but then is unclear on what a reasonable period is!

In this particular case where a product has been received and used for a number of years, the onus is on the consumer to show there was a defect existing in the oven rather than the damage being as a result of wear and tear or other accidental damage.

The six years that is very often quoted, I believe, is linked to the Statute of Limitations Act 1957 Section 11, which states an action arising from a simple contract must be taken before the expiration of 6 years. So if you believe you have a case against a supplier you have bought something from you have 6 years from discovering the issue to take that case with the onus on you to prove that case. This is not strictly a consumer right.

I certainly don't expect my underpants to last 6 years!
So on that basis if EarlyRiser's underpants disintegrate after the first wash and the shop is refusing to play ball with him, he potentially has 6 years to take a claim against them! Still not sure I'd want to turn up in court with them though.

The "up to 6 years" redress on items requires the claimant to prove that there was a manufacturing defect that caused the issue.

If you went the SCC route and won, a deduction is taken for the period of use.

Hence it's not particularly good legislation to rely on unless you are able to find other reports of the same fault or able to have an expert confirm a fault was a result of a manufacturing issue.

For a broken door glass it would be near impossible to show that after 3 years of use.

Back