Household bills - any need to retain?

jph

Is there any reason/purpose to retain household bills once paid? If so, for how long?

thanks

jph

At the very least, I would hold them until the next one comes in, to make sure your previous payment is shown on it. I had an issue once where I made a payment on a store card bill, but the following bill didn't show it, and I was charged for missing the previous month's payment. Because I had the previous bill with a receipt for the payment stapled to it, I was able to have the payment applied to my account, and got a refund of both the overdue charge and the extra interest I had been charged.

It's also useful to have a bill or two to use as proof of address when applying for loans/mobile phone contracts etc.

I keep them for a year. But I suppose the last 6 months would do. How ever I don't look at them too closely once its in the expected range, and when I do its not unusual to find mistakes that go back for months.

jph thank you for making me think about clearing out my old household bills. I have been in the habit of keeping mine for years, but your question has prompted me to get rid of anything over 6 months old.

I scan them into the computer every so often so I have a permanent record, and shred the originals.

Which reminds me .... I have something to do this weekend.

if you were thinking of emigrating, you might need to provide evidence of a relationship (assuming you are part of a couple & bills are in joint names!) and utility bills are useful in this instance. ;)

No real need to retain except as some people have said you may need to use as part of identity documents. On a related point-do ensure when you are getting rid of them that you shred them, in case someone else decides to use them fraudulently.

For identity purposes, three months previous is all that is required. If you are claiming residency for tax purposes in another country, you would need them to show you were / were not here. Otherwise they do make a good fire better.

thank you for your replies. The shredder will be busy over the coming days.

jph

Back