Household benefits package - 66 year old - means test

DirectDevil

Trying to help an older relative with paperwork and getting lost !

He will turn 66 later this year.
He meets all the criteria for a full contributory PRSI pension.

However, it seems that he is not eligible for the household benefits package until he is 70.
Is that correct ?
His assets/income are such that he would probably fail any means test !!

Any steers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Having a read of this might help as it would appear that they do not qualify until they are 70:

Perhaps they qualify for the Interim 65 year old payment:

A relative was told recently to apply 6 months in advance of their Contributory Pension because things are delayed because of Covid, it used to be to apply 3 months in advance. Presumably this application would have to be done by necessary form rather than www.mygovid.ie

It might be a good idea while you are sorting things out to set up a full mygovid account with full access for any future dealings with the Department of Social Protection.

My reading is that if your relative is "living alone" AND getting a State Pension, then they do qualify for the Household Benefit Package from age 66.

My reading is that if your relative is "living alone" AND getting a State Pension, then they do qualify for the Household Benefit Package from age 66.

Yep. The Citizens Advice link is confusing, but that's a good summary.

It gets more complicated if there's a spouse/partner involved.

Yes he qualifies for Household Benefit at age 66 as long as he is receipt of a qualifying a payment which in this case is a contributory Pension.
There is no means test involved.
However if he has wife/partner her income may be means tested, that is any income over €300 pw

Yes he qualifies for Household Benefit at age 66 as long as he is receipt of a qualifying a payment which in this case is a contributory Pension.
There is no means test involved.
However if he has wife/partner her income may be means tested, that is any income over €300 pw
Again, my reading is that if he (assuming it’s a “he”) is getting the Contributory State Pension and is also claiming the Qualifying Adult Dependant additional payment, he also gets the Household Benefit package from age 66. But everybody gets it at age 70 in any event.

They don't make it easy for some older folks !
Thanks to everyone for the replies as they give me a clearer focus on how to proceed.

They don't make it easy for some older folks !
Thanks to everyone for the replies as they give me a clearer focus on how to proceed.
To be fair, people in this situation should just apply and let the powers that be do the work of figuring out entitlement (and then appeal if rejected if necessary) rather than worrying about the minutiae of the system a priori themselves.

As someone who only found out about this benefit after the age of 66, I can confirm that anyone over that age who is drawing the contributory state pension, qualifies without any means test. You don't have to be living alone. The info on line is not designed to make it easy to understand the qualification criteria. Since I found out about it and now receive this benefit, I have told all of my friends who are also on contributory state pension to apply. ALL are now receiving it. Goodness knows we get little enough "free" so to those of you still hesitating just fill in the form online and get some help with your ever increasing electricity bills and get free TV licence too. Enjoy

As someone who only found out about this benefit after the age of 66, I can confirm that anyone over that age who is drawing the contributory state pension, qualifies without any means test. You don't have to be living alone.

I don't believe the second sentence of your post is correct.

According to the Citizens Information website:-

People aged under 70​

If you aged under 70 and you are living with your spouse, cohabitant or civil partner, you can get the HBP if you are getting a qualifying social welfare payment

and​

• You are getting an increase in your qualifying social welfare payment for them (see list of qualifying social welfare payments or
  • They are getting their own qualifying social welfare payment listed below or
  • They are getting a social welfare payment not listed below and they satisfy a means test

The welfare site suggests that @Exchanger is correct...

But take a look at bullet 5 of the Operational Guidelines.

How to qualify

You must:
  • be legally living in the State on a permanent basis (full-time, all year round)
  • be the only person in the household claiming this benefit
  • be the registered bill holder on the Gas/Electricity bill if you are claiming that allowance
  • prove your identity with a Public Services Card when asked to do so
  • Your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant must be a Qualified Adult on your pension, be in receipt of a social welfare payment in their own right, or satisfy a means test, if they are in receipt of a benefit payment

To get the Household Benefit package earlier than 70, you need;
- to be living alone or
- living with a Qualified Adult Dependent
Exchanger is not quite right in Post 9.

This is wrong too - I am under 70, in receipt of Contributary Social Welfare pension and am getting the Household benefit

This is wrong too - I am under 70, in receipt of Contributary Social Welfare pension and am getting the Household benefit
Are you living alone or with a Qualified Adult Dependent?
Simply being in receipt of the Contributory State Pension (under age 70) is not sufficient, from my reading of the qualifying conditions.

Back