Houseboat on Airbnb

ATC110

Is it possible to let a narrowboat/barge/canal boat on Airbnb in Dublin area on one of the canals?

Only one I could find is in Galway.

There are a few operators (, Jennifer's, and likely others) that let boats directly around the outskirts, avoiding additional AirBnB fees. Mooring site costs rise as you approach Dublin, and there are Irish Waterways restrictions on how far rental boats are allowed to travel.

I'm thinking more of a house boat which would be lived on part time and then let at other times

I believe there are very few with residential permits in or around Dublin. A number of parties have lobbied Waterways Ireland over the years to issue more, but they cite planning restrictions as a limiting factor. Their main focus is leisure use.

It looks amazing - I wonder what type of Waterways Ireland permit they have and whether it complies with their rules?

I believe 20 residential permits were issued for the Grand Canal Docks area.

I believe there are very few with residential permits in or around Dublin. A number of parties have lobbied Waterways Ireland over the years to issue more, but they cite planning restrictions as a limiting factor. Their main focus is leisure use.

I believe 20 residential permits were issued for the Grand Canal Docks area.
That's gas. London has some 4,000 licensed houseboats, providing a lot of people with affordable city centre accommodation. Dublin seems to have a few dozen.

Housing crisis, what crisis?

That's gas. London has some 4,000 licensed houseboats, providing a lot of people with affordable city centre accommodation. Dublin seems to have a few dozen.

Yep, I read an article a while back about a guy who approached the DDDA with a proposal to bring in a large ship and convert it to what would effectively be an apartment complex on the water. His feeling was they thought he was joking and the idea never gained any traction.

For some reason Dublin would prefer the workforce to live in the commuter belt spending hours clogging up the main arteries into and out of the city instead.

I read an article a while back about a guy who approached the DDDA with a proposal to bring in a large ship and convert it to what would effectively be an apartment complex on the water

Yeah, I remember reading that article. Shame it never took hold. Is there international examples of this approach working?

In fairness, London has a lot more waterways and a lot more length in those. The uk also has a historic use of houseboats which we don't have here.

You do see a fair few in Kildare at various points - sallins and Robertstown being examples

In fairness, London has a lot more waterways and a lot more length in those. The uk also has a historic use of houseboats which we don't have here.

True on all counts. A walk along the Regents Canal in London is very revealing though - a lot of houseboats. Some say too many.

Is there international examples of this approach working?
I'm not sure about apartments, but Stockholm is full of boat hotels, as there was a shortage of land for building.
I'm pretty sure I read about student accommodation provided by some of them.

Back