House Wanted ad on Irish Times?

dieter1

We were thinking of placing an ad in the irish times 'houses wanted' section, as we know that there are buyers out there very keen to sell. We are second time buyers and sold our first house a year ago and have been renting since. We can move extremely quickly but have had no success in reaching a deal through EA's (we have tried hard!). We're looking for a three bed with garden close to the city centre at around 600k or so.....

Would this work, has anyone else tried this?

Why would you let any vendor know in advance how much you are willing to spend? Are you not handing the upper hand to the vendor by doing so? Though in todays market you never know you may get some desparate vendors who just want to offload their property. Good luck!

if you're happy to pay that (seems low, so I would) it might just flush out someone looking for a quick sale. How many potential sellers read that section I wonder? Pity there's no myhome.ie equivalent for 'houses wanted'

I think it would be a waste of money - surely www.myhome.ie is the best place for a search?

How about [broken link removed] Good address, ok house could be very nice if you did it up, asking EUR575,000 (I found that after a 2 min search)

I sympathise completely with the OP. I am also in this position looking for a house. I have cash in the bank and not part of a chain

It seems that some estate agents at least are acting as a buffer zone between buyer and seller. Let's say that they don't seem to be making that extra effort to conclude the sale. I often get the feeling that my offers (usually 15% under asking these days) are not going to the vendor at all. EA continue to talk the market up resulting in a stagnant market

Any opportunity to deal directly with a vendor is a dream come through for me.

Hi all,

I agree with efm, it might be a waste of money on your behalf. I'm gobsmacked at the price of houses in Dublin though - can't believe that the house on the link efm refers to is going for that price no offence to the house - didn't look at inside pictures etc. But down the country you would build or find a fine house with land for that money - but it is all relative. Maybe if you put a small add in the property section of the Irish times - not classified but a 1 or 2 inch add - also try property section of Irish Independent. Don't forget to look up private seller also. Good luck with your house hunting!

Why not take a drive around your preferred areas and look for 'for sale' signs?

Many vendors have also become disillusioned with EAs and are selling a their homes directlythe services of an EA.

Lightup has a good suggestion. Drive around the areas and get familiar with houses for sale. Take your time and watch out for houses on the market for a few months and no movement. Offer at least 20% below the asking price.

interesting views one and all. I have been in this market for a year and could probably value a house better than any of those EA's. I've seen maybe 30 houses bid on probably 6, gazumped on three, even in this market. Its amazing how stupid some of these people are, we were naive at the start but battle hardened now. Its only E100 for the ad and to be honest more out of interest, I'll probably see how it goes.

Regarding people selling their own houses, they are pretty much non existant, check out sellityourself.ie for proof of that. Some direct sellers on daft but very few and far between.

Beattie - your quote about price is valid but we need to put something on the ad and we're realistic about prices, i.e. we know what houses in any specific area cost, also we have a database of emails from myhome.ie for the last year to refer to, amongst other things.

appreciate everyones thoughts on this, but in a stagnant market I feel that I must try something different. I will post back with how I get on.

Hi

Another way of approching this would be to decide first on your target area then do a letter drop to all the houses in that street/area, addressed to the owner with a short note to say you are interested in buying in the area and if they are considering selling to avoid agency fees and deal direct.

Although some people may find this intrusive, so i'd be careful with the wording.

be interested to see others thoughts on doing this.

Paddy

Hi

Another way of approching this would be to decide first on your target area then do a letter drop to all the houses in that street/area, addressed to the owner with a short note to say you are interested in buying in the area and if they are considering selling to avoid agency fees and deal direct.

Although some people may find this intrusive, so i'd be careful with the wording.

be interested to see others thoughts on doing this.

Paddy

Or just do a letter drop into the houses that you are interested in. You should state you are a ready to go buyer but had a bad experience with their agent and would like to deal with the seller directory or a third party.

hi all, we are looking to sell a 3 bed (plus garage converted to bedrooom and ensuite) semi detached house in Santry, with a good sized garden in back and small lawn and parking in front. It's in a quiet cul de sac close to all amenities, eg bus, Omni shopping centre etc. Optimistic

Hi,

I agree with Paddyodoors if you are interested in properties drop a letter through letter box. However being a vendor myself I would word it carefully but I don't think it is unheard of nowadays for buyers to approach vendors direct. I tend to agree with some of the comments about EAs sometimes there is a break in communication between prospective buyer and vendor. From a Vendor's point of view if someone approached me I would deal with their query and would take it seriously, with regard to showing people around your own house I'd be a bit wary -if there are negative comments might be hard for vendor to take these whereas an EA is impartial. When it comes to the pricing end of it I'd have no problem dealing with buyer direct at least you can both see where each other is coming from and come to a mutual price agreement - though not all vendors have the same mindset.

Back