House valued at €400k cannot get mortgage for 130K

D

duffy22

Hi All,

I am looking for a little advice if there is anybody that has some suggestions please pass them on.

My Mam and Dad have just got divorced.
There is me, my sister and my mam living at home.

The court have now ordered my Mam to pay my Dad €70,000 and if she cannot pay up within a month she is going to have to sell the house and give him 25% of the sale.

The house has been valued and is worth €400k

My mam currently earns 30k with overtime.

At the moment there is an outstanding mortgage of €52,000 with the royal bank of scotland.

The problem that we are having is that there were some loans out in the past some in both my Mam and Dads name that payments were missed.

The problem was that all of the other loans were just in my Mams name and then when my dad failed to contribute to them my Mam had to pay them back so she ended up missing some payments.

So my mams name is coming back showing a bad credit rating.

She has now cleared all of her debts and has no outstanding loans only the mortgage of €52,000.

She also has a partner that earns about 4-5k a month and has no debts or outstanding loans at all and he tried to get a mortgage with her for 130K in order to pay of the €52,000 in RBS and then pay €70k to my dad however they were refused.

The only other option available is to gp to a mortgage lender called start and pay an interest rate of between 6% to 9%.

I am just wondering does anybody have any ideas on how she can get a mortgage for 130K without going to start and paying a much higher interest rate.

Should my mams partner try to get a mortgage on his own or should they go and try again to get it together.

I would be grateful if you could pass on any advice that will enable my Mam to be able to raise the 130k.

It will depend on how bad her credit rating ie - i.e. how many payments were missed and whether it was a one off situation or ongoing. The first thing to do is to check her own credit rating with the Irish Credit Bureau. Their number is 2600388. If it's not possible to get a mortgage with a high street lender then Start can be useful in the short term with a view to remortgage once her finances have been in order for (typically) 12 months.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Could your mother do a deal with your dad and pay him the equivalent of a monthly mortgage repayment every month for the next while until she sorts out her credit rating and can get a normal loan.
I'm sure your dad would welcome the monthly income instead?

TBH the Dad doesn't seem too reasonable if he didn't contribute to the co-owed debt!! but it seems unusual that the court would force the sale of a family home if your mum is willing but unable to raise the cash! perhaps she should go back to the court, outline her situation, offer a monthly payment in lieu of getting her credit rating in order and then paying him the rest of the settlement when she can get a re-mortgage! just my opinion, i know of a similiar such situation and very little the dad can do to force sale but suppose it depends on your and your sister's age, whether you're a dependant or not!

Back